Cave diver drowns - Jackson Blue Springs, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So why did he not use the tank with air?
Sounds like he was wedged in somewhere. Could have been impossible to access. Not really gonna know till the report comes out and fully explains the scenario. Any speculation at this point is exactly that…unless one of the handful of people who were there starts talking. That’s not likely to occur.

Not that ironic. Nobody is infallible, we all F up eventually…it’s just a matter of who survives it.
A fundamental principle of Safety Engineering is that humans will inevitably make mistakes. The idea is to have systems and procedures in place so that, when they do, people don't get seriously injured or die.

This is a really irritating post....."I know more than you do!" This isn't grade school.
Either say it or stuff it. Teasing is childish.
The deceased was a DAN medic and the surviving team member was a member of the Risk Mitigation team at DAN.

A fundamental principle of Safety Engineering is that humans will inevitably make mistakes. The idea is to have systems and procedures in place so that, when they do, people don't get seriously injured or die.
I get that, but you cannot engineer a solution to misadventure as a whole. Tragedies will still happen, and just did.

Why would you post this? It’s borderline derogatory to the victims AND you omit their job titles.
"Ironic" does not imply any negligence, or say anything derogatory. It merely states that it is not who you would expect it to be. Now that @tbone1004 has told us the titles, I agree that it is ironic. However, it is possible that them having the titles they do is part of the reason we have 1 victim instead of 2 in this incident.

I get that, but you cannot engineer a solution to misadventure as a whole. Tragedies will still happen, and just did.
I'm not trying to be smart. I'm just saying that fields of activity that have achieved a really good safety culture - commercial aviation, say - have done it by recognising that human error happens and tragedies occur, and trying to look beyond that. Saying, "That guy made a mistake, so it's his fault. Don't make the same mistake as him" isn't a good way to make things safer.

The aim isn't to have zero harm - that's not possible. The aim should be that, when a tragedy occurs, for people to be able to honestly say that the risks were as low as reasonably possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom