Cave Divers and Attitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
Most of the cave divers I have met ... hmm ... no, make that .... all of the cave divers I have met, have been total A-holes.

And just how many cave divers have you met. I know lots of them (from most states in this country and a couple other continents)and my experince has been the exact oposite from yours. Shoot I'm even married to a cave diver. LOL

On the other hand, I do wonder why the mods let you stay around.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Shoot I'm even married to a cave diver. LOL
EEEKK!!! Mike, does Sandy know about that? LOL :D

And just how many cave divers have you met. I know lots of them (from most states in this country and a couple other continents)and my experince has been the exact oposite from yours. Shoot I'm even married to a cave diver. LOL

Its a short list but distinguished. They have all been amateurs, of course. So comparing them to professional commercial divers is probably not fair.

chickdiver once bubbled...
A bit of historical info. Cave Diving agencies have never promoted their training. In order to get in a class- you have to bug a lot of people and ask a lot of questions. We do this to discourage those who don't really WANT it. Cave Divers tend to put off divers a lot becuase of this.

Frankly, I don't see a problem with this.

Wasn't tech training like this until recently?

As for military divers- I have a ton of EOD guys that are friends- they think I am nuts. The ones who have taken training from me also repsect my knowledge and ability- ome of the coolest guys I know.

I used to know a guy who was in EOD. Broke is leg during SEAL training and went into EOD after recovering. Heck of a good guy. Lots of fun to hang out with but when something had to get done, damn did his demeanor change fast!

On the other hand, I do wonder why the mods let you stay around.

We discussed this earlier.

Apparently you need to use the "Report this post to a moderator" link, which can be found directly above the "Edit" button and slightly above and to the left of the "Quote" button.

:doctor:
A lot of times a attitude is really just a difference of opinion. BUT there are those you will find who think they are the top of the food chain. You should take the diver's attitude on a case by case basis. I do know what you mean though. Next time you come up to a cave diver and talk to him, ask him what he/she thinks is the first rule. If he/she thinks about it the first rule of any form of diving is "To breath" and that would mean he /she remembers what it is to be a open water diver, the starting point for all of us.
If the cave diver acknowledges that then they are most likely a OK kind of diver fellow.

Karl_in_Calif once bubbled...
Most of the cave divers I have met ... hmm ... no, make that .... all of the cave divers I have met, have been total A-holes.

On the other hand, ALL of the commercial divers that I have met have been very humble men. Courageous, powerful, and humble.

A close friend of mine owns a scuba store, and he is an X-commercial diver, an x-pipedope like PipeDope.

I would think that the oil rig divers have the hardest jobs in scuba or surface supplied diving. If anyone deserves to have attitude, they do.

It reminds me of a question I have for both of you, BOB3 & PIPEDOPE:

The NOAA Diving Manual speaks of 400 fsw as the cut-off for scuba and the beginning of surface-supplied. In other words, NO SCUBA deeper than 400 fsw.

Is that right, in the real world of commercial diving?

Karl

When you go trolling in unchartered territory, you should really make sure there are no fish bigger than your boat!

:confused:

I am surprised by the negative impression some have about cave divers. I have been an OW only diver for 30 years and have met and dove with a lot of rude divers, most of them hunters, but to the best of my knowledge none were cave divers. In fact I was so impressed by the professionalism, and generosity of a local group of cavers that I am now in the process of joining their ranks.

they're just busy and want to be left alone.

evad once bubbled...
they're just busy and want to be left alone.

This is actually a very astute observation. I am often apporached at various places by people who have questions about the gear, what we are doing, etc. Depending upon what I am doing when you ask me a question, there is a distinct possibility that I will be very focused on something, and not likely to answer with more than one or two terse words. It isn't that I (or others) are being intentionally unfriendly, but I (and cave divers on the whole, as well as many other tech divers) tend to be very focused, anal retentive people- everything has to be _perfect_ and done in a specific order. If I stop to converse, I throw off not only my pre-dive routine, but that of the rest of my team as well. Conversely, if you happen to catch me with questions after the dive, or when I am at the shop, but finished filling- I will likely talk your ears off about my particular passion. A lot of times it's just a matter of timing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom