"Cave Fills"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I skipped most of the posts in this thread after the first page or so as my head was about to explode.

Here's several key points in fairly simple terms to consider when we're talking about cave fills:

1) 3AA steel tanks and 3AL aluminum tanks are all hydro tested to 5/3rds the service pressure (1.67 times the service pressure) during re-qualification. Exempt and Special Permit tanks are hydro tested to 1.5 times the service pressure.

2) The purpose of a hydro test is to measure the elastic expansion that occurs when the tank is pressurized to the test pressure and ensure that the elastic expansion is within specified limits (expressed as the Rejection Elastic Expansion, or REE in cubic centimeters) and that there is also essentially no permanent expansion, known as "plastic deformation".

3) Re-qualification includes both a VIP and a hydro test. Most RINs do the VIP first as that's how it's outlined in the standards, and as it makes sense to take a look in the tank before you bother with the hydro test, drying process, etc. That's not an issue unless you're testing a 6351-T6 tank. I've seen 6351-T6 tanks that passed a visual eddy inspection prior to the hydro test, but then had a visible crack after the hydro test.

The moral here is that a dive shop should always do their own Eddy Current, Visual Plus or Optical Plus inspection on a 6351-T6 alloy tank when it comes back from hydro test. The DOT is confident that a crack will take an average of 7 years to propagate from the point of detection to catastrophic failure, and thus be detected by a re-qualification well before a catastrophic failure occurs. The lack of ANY catastrophic failure of a properly inspected 6351-T6 tank since the eddy current protocols are adopted supports that confidence. However, there have been a very few instances of non catastrophic failures (leaks) in properly inspected tanks and I attribute that to the performance of the hydro test after the eddy current test and the lack of a dive shop performing a Visual Eddy, Visual Plus or Optical Plus inspection on the tank before returning to service after it comes back from hydro.

4) Aluminum tanks have a fatigue life. In other words, each and every fill starts to shorten the life of the tank. Luxfer tests their tanks to 10,000 cycles, but fatigue life isn't a specific number, it's a fairly broad range. The more fills an AL tank has, the more it will fatigue. Overfilling an AL tank will significantly increase the fatigue that occurs and shorten the life of the tank as the fatigue that occurs is proportional to the additional stress. That's why NO ONE recommends overfilling an aluminum tank.

5) Steel tanks do not normally*** have a fatigue life. Carbon steel has an "elastic limit", which if exceeded will result in measurable permanent expansion/ plastic deformation of the tank, although that is still well below the limit where the tank will catastrophically fail.

However, steel tanks also have a "fatigue limit" below the elastic limit where no fatigue in the steel occurs and where a steel tank can (theoretically) withstand an infinite number of cycles without weakening and eventually failing.

Tanks made to the 3AA engineering standard have proven to be very conservatively engineered, and it appears a 3600 psi fill in a 2400 psi tank is below the fatigue limit for 3AA standard designed tanks, or at least so close to it that the fatigue life is still a very large number (thousands or tens of thousands) of cycles. That's why 3600 psi fills over the last 20-25 years in north FL have not resulted in 2400 psi steel tanks catastrophically failing, or even failing hydro tests.

6) ***Now, if the fatigue limit is exceeded on a steel tank, it will start to fatigue and the life of the tank will be limited, and at some point it will fail a hydro test.

This is what gives me pause regarding the "creep" in cave fills from 3600 psi, to 3800 psi and to then to the current 4000 psi you see in some shops. 4000 psi is the 5/3rds test pressure for a 2400 psi 3AA steel tank. 400 psi difference may not seem like much, but it's 10%, and that last 10% can be significant. It remains to be seen how well 3AA steel tanks stand up to this additional 10% overfill over the course of 10-20 years.

7) Exempt and Special permit tanks should not be over filled as the engineering standards they are made under are much less conservative.

Consider what happened with Worthington X series special permit tanks that were failing hydro testing by the traditional methods. Eventually Worthington, DOT and TC all agreed to new test criteria, where a "round out" procedure was used in a hydro test is to increase the tank pressure to 90% of the test pressure and perform a system check. In essence, the procedure rounds out any oval cross section in the tank and expands the galvanized zinc coating on the tank, and takes that into account by re-zeroing the expansion measurement before doing the full test at the full test pressure to measure the actual elastic expansion in the tank that occurs in the last 10% of the test pressure.

That was never an issue in 3AA galvanized steel tanks as the more conservative design the 3AA tanks didn't encounter the same permanent expansion issue due to the galvanized coating and the coating process. However, as most folks realize, special permit and exempt tanks are lighter than a similar size 3AA steel tank, and that's due to the thinner walls of the tank associated with the less conservative special permit design criteria. Overfilling an exempt or special permit tank by any significant percentage will most likely create a significant risk of exceeding the fatigue limit of the tank and begin shortening the life of the tank. The more the service pressure is exceeded, the more fatigue will occur and the shorter the tank life will be.

8) Work hardening is an artifact of plastic deformation and both work hardening and plastic deformation are the result of dislocations in the crystalline structure of the metal. However, provided the elastic limit isn't exceeded in a steel tank, work hardening won't occur.

9) Due to the absence of a fatigue life, the major killer of steel tanks is rust. A deep pit in a tank sidewall will create a stress riser that can cause the tank to fail at that point. A line of pits, such as might be formed at the edges of water pooling in a tank lying on it's side is the most common cause of a steel tank catastrophically failing. Large areas of rust that thin the tank significantly are also responsible for their fair share of failure. Pits in the bottom of the tank are less critical as the material is thicker there, but I'll still fail a steel tank that has a significant pit inside or out.

10) When aluminum tanks fail, they tend to fragment into a number of large and small fragments, creating very effective shrapnel patterns that kill and maim bystanders pretty effectively. In contrast, steel tanks tend to split when they fail, peeling open, but staying in one piece with minimal fragmentation and shrapnel. Of course the blast is still just as damaging and just as deadly, so it's still a bad day for all involved, but given a choice I'd rather be near a steel tank that fails than an aluminum tank that fails.

11) Tumbling steel tanks to remove flash rust and flecks of rust is a normal and well accepted practice. What you are doing is removing any surface rust that might otherwise be hiding a pit. A small fleck of rust may not be serious if it's removed in time. However if it is allowed to sit there, it will continue to attract moisture and cause more rust underneath. Left long enough, it will cause a pit.

A few hours to over night tumbling is enough to remove pretty much any rust that's not already causing a problem. However, you could tumble a tank for weeks and not remove enough steel to reduce the strength by any measurable degree. The steel used in steel tanks is very hard and very tough and while tumbling media will remove rust effectively it won't remove intact steel very well at all.

That also means that you can tumble a tank for weeks and you still won't be able to remove a pit. You might clean out the darker material in the bottom of the pit and shine it up so it looks less like a pit, but the pit will still be there. I don't bother tumbling a steel tank more than overnight before I make a call on whether it's a fleck of rust or an underlying pit.

In regard to 2250 psi service pressure steel 72s, the 3AA engineering standard is the same regardless of the service pressure. The same 5/3rds of service test pressure is used and that test pressure is 3750 psi in a steel 72. Thus, a 3750 psi fill in a 2250 psi tank would be comparable to a 4000 psi fill in a 2400 psi service pressure tank. Similarly, a 3375 psi fill in a 2250 psi tank would be comparable to a 3600 psi fill in a 2400 psi tank.

However, most shops are not likely to fill to that pressure, and I've heard some shop owners cite the thinner tank walls on a steel 72 as "proof" they are not nearly as strong and can't take the same percentage overfill. They really believe that and you won't talk them out of it.

The problem with this logic is that it ignores both the lower service and test pressures and the smaller diameter of the tank. They both effect the required wall thickness under the 3AA engineering standard. The 6.9" diameter steel 72 experiences much smaller hoop stresses than an 8" diameter LP 95, and thus doesn't need to same wall thickness. Similarly, the lower service pressure and test pressure also reduces the required wall thickness. Between the lower service and test pressures and the lower hoop stresses, the steel 72 has the same safety margin as the LP 95, despite the significantly thinner walls. However it's made to the same engineering standard and it has the same safety margin, and should take a 150% overfill just as well as a 2400 psi tank.

The other reason I hear frequently is that steel 72s are "old". That ignores the fact that a fatigue life doesn't apply and if a steel 72 looks good inside and out with no rust or pits, it's a good tank that will perform like it did the day it was made.

Now with that said, I don't fill mine past 3000 psi and I'll limit them to about 2800 psi for open water dives. At 2800 psi it has 80.5 cu ft, and at 3000 psi it will hold 86.3 cu ft. They don't make them anymore so I tend to be conservative with them as good steel 72s can be hard to find, especially now that they've become very popular as side mount tanks, offering 85 cu ft of gas in a 6.9" diameter package at 3000 psi, and I've found that getting a 3000 psi cave fill isn't a real problem in north FL. 3000 psi is only 88% of the test pressure, and it's much more conservative than filling a 2400 psi tank to it's 4000 psi service pressure.

2) The purpose of a hydro test is to measure the elastic expansion that occurs when the tank is pressurized to the test pressure and ensure that the elastic expansion is within specified limits (expressed as the Rejection Elastic Expansion, or REE in cubic centimeters) and that there is also essentially no permanent expansion, known as "plastic deformation".

Bingo.

Tobin

It is interesting to hear so many people indicate that overfilling of steel tanks is OK. I feel guilty when I ask the tank guys to fill my 2400 psi tanks to 3000.

It is my understanding that cave divers who use aluminum tanks also commonly fill them to 4,000 psi. I've seen whole groups of them on a boat - all with 4,000 psi in their tanks. I think they told me they use them for 5 years and then sell them for cheap when a hydro is due. I've never been too worried about an aluminum tank being filled to 3500 and cooling down to a decent fill - maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
It is interesting to hear so many people indicate that overfilling of steel tanks is OK. I feel guilty when I ask the tank guys to fill my 2400 psi tanks to 3000.

It is my understanding that cave divers who use aluminum tanks also commonly fill them to 4,000 psi. I've seen whole groups of them on a boat - all with 4,000 psi in their tanks. I think they told they use then for 5 years and then sell them for cheap when a hydro is due. I've never been too worried about an aluminum tank being filled to 3500 and cooling down to a decent fill - maybe I am wrong.

I have never seen this and know of no bona fide fillers who will fill an aluminum past 3200 or 3300 (so they cool to 3000psi). Anyone who does this is ignoring historical incidents and taking a severe chance with safety.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the service pressure limits for steel tanks in the USA set by the DOT and not the manufacturer? I thought I read somewhere the same steel tanks sold in Europe have higher service pressures because that's what they are set to over there.

It is my understanding that cave divers who use aluminum tanks also commonly fill them to 4,000 psi. I've seen whole groups of them on a boat - all with 4,000 psi in their tanks. I think they told they use then for 5 years and then sell them for cheap when a hydro is due. I've never been too worried about an aluminum tank being filled to 3500 and cooling down to a decent fill - maybe I am wrong.

I have never heard of this and I live on the edge of cave country. I have had my al 80's accidentally filled to 3600 once or twice by a dive shop who whips a bunch of tanks together and places them in a water filled cattle trough. I definitely wasn't a happy camper. I have gotten fills at every cave diving shop in cave country except EE, and the shops around Wakulla so I think I have a pretty fair amount of experience on this.

I heard of 4000 psi fills in a few south Florida shops for a very short time, and then nothing. I suspect the DOT got involved and stopped the practice. Given the fatigue traits of aluminum filling 3000 psi 3AL tanks to 4000 psi is a very bad idea, even if the diver in fact renders them unfit for use after 5 years (and I suspect a diver doing 4000 psi fills just sells them to someone else after 5 years).

Now to be fair, for a 3AL tank design to be certified, the DOT requires a the pulsation test where the same cylinders are filled with water and then cycled between test pressure and zero pressure for 10,000 cycles. The frequency is around 12 cycles per minute. This is a metal fatigue test that requires the cylinder to not leak or show signs of failure during the test. The US DOT allows 100,000 cycles between service pressure and zero as an alternative test.

That suggests that 5 years worth of 4000 psi fills might not cause a failure, but on the other hand those are 4000 psi fills over period of time, not 5 second cycles, and that might make a difference. It's guaranteed however that some significant fatigue will be occurring and it's just not worth the risk.

I think it is significant that the DOT will crawl all over a shop overfilling 3AL tanks, but the DOT has turned a blind eye to N FL cave fills over the last couple decades. That suggests the DOT understands the conservative nature of the 3AA standard, as well as the differences in the fatigue properties of steel and aluminum.

I have them fill my a AL80's to 3400-3500 and they cool to 3100-3200 and I feel that I'm well within the safe zone of the tanks.. And the little I know about aluminum fatigue is in airframe repair... And it's always cycles and not the length of the cycle ... BUT, I'm sure extending the over pressure for longer periods of time would at some point deform the tank... I like to listen to the Hydro guys that do it every day....

Jim

Now back to the mystical "true elastic limit" and the work hardening of 3AA steel cylinders.

If one were load a bar made of soft (annealed) steel sufficiently to cause it to bend it will stay bent. It might "spring back" a little, but it would be 1) fairly easy to bend, and 2) will exhibit ductile behavior and stay bent.

OTOH if one tried the same thing with a Hardened piece of spring steel it will bend and spring back to it's original position. This is why springs are *hard*. For example hobbyist knife makers will use leaf springs from autos as a starting point for blades.

What does this have to do with scuba tanks?

It has been argued here that overfilling results in work hardening, and that leads to tanks failing hydro.

Tanks usually fail hydro because they fail to "snap back" after being stretched by the test pressure, not because they split open. Ruptures happen but it is fairly uncommon.

A tank being tested is filled with water and then the entire tank is placed into a sealed water bath connected to a graduated pipette. As the tank is being pressurized it expands and forces water up the pipette. This allows the tester to see how much the tank expanded. When the pressure is released the tank contracts and the water in the pipette flows back into the water bath surrounding the tank under test. If the tank fails to return to, or close to, the original volume it fails. Ruptures happen but it is rare.

If "work hardening" was actually occurring the tank would become *more* like a spring and less ductile. This additional hardening, if it was actually occurring, would *increase* the tendency for the to tank resist permanent deformation, and *increase* the tendency for it to return to it original volume.

There is good reason that 3AA tanks are heat treated and tempered to a reasonably hard state, if they were left annealed and ductile they would stretch and not return to original volumes.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom