Cave line clarifications/specifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seiff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

What is #24 cave line??? Here's what I DO know:

24 is a specification of size in an AMERICAN rope sizing system
Cave line is #24 white braided-nylon (here in the US.)

Here's where I'm frustrated: No one I have asked has been able to tell me what #24 really means. The people at West Marine, Boater's World, and Lowe's Hardware all had never heard of such a sizing system, which surprised me. All of the commercial packaging I have seen locally has had inches or mm as measurments.

Also, the resources I have found online specifying a diameter in inches for #24 have been conflicting. I have found NO resources about the sizing system.

Can someone please clear up the following for me:
a) what is the imperial/metric diameter equivalent of #24?
b) what are the details of the numbering system and what is the system called?

24 refers to the number of strands.

I have seen every thing from #18 (pretty tiny) up to about #48 used permanently in caves. #24 is typical for reels and spools. Its approximately 1.8mm in diameter.

Sweet, thanks, that makes alot more sense. I wonder why that isn't specified anywhere here. I was really surprised that the boat shops didn't know.

So I guess depending on the manufacturer the actual size may vary but it is still a 24 strand braided line. right?

Actually its a sewing/thread type measurement scale - kinda like denier for fabric. e.g. 1000 denier cordura.

#24 is typically sold by the pound. The actual size varies a little but you still get 1 pount of nylon. There are both #24 braided and #24 twisted. 1 pound of #24 is about 850ft long.

Some manufactures have a "loose" braid while some is much "tighter" so you definately can have some variance in the diameter. I'm not sure if the loose vs. tight factor can make a difference in length. It probably can in the unstretched length, but I doubt this makes much difference in cave usage.

seiff:
Sweet, thanks, that makes alot more sense. I wonder why that isn't specified anywhere here. I was really surprised that the boat shops didn't know.

So I guess depending on the manufacturer the actual size may vary but it is still a 24 strand braided line. right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom