Cave of the sleeping sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obs_silky_shark2.jpg

I don't know either.... But it sure looks the same as a silky.... Found this one to compare the two. This is supposedly a silky.

I'm sorry if this photo turns anyone's stomach... I would have rather found a photo of it in its natural element... This one just seemed to give a good visual comparison.

Attachments

• obs_silky_shark2.jpg
    obs_silky_shark2.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 25
I read in another thread about another operation (NOT Aldora) was using reef hooks up north. Maybe they'll stop the practice knowing these creatures are around? The sadistic side of me hopes they hook one = One heck of a ride! I bet the shark wins that struggle.

Reef hooks as I know them are used to hook a diver into the reef in order to stay stationary in a fast current so you can hang out and observe the marine life. I'm not sure what you're referring to in regard to them being harmful to sharks.

---------- Post added January 24th, 2014 at 04:50 PM ----------

Here is a photo 0f one of the sharks. We think they may be Silky Sharks. Any other ideas?

View attachment 176150

definitely a thresher, a wobbegong or a hammer head, its definitely one of the three. or maybe a whale shark... I'm pretty good at identifying sharks...

For every true professional who has seen them…it is not. But I don't really know for sure. Shall we spear one and drag it home?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

For every true professional who has seen them…it is not. But I don't really know for sure. Shall we spear one and drag it home?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Maybe you could get someone to come home with a bite mark and we could try measuring and comparing that first? However if you do resort to spearing, I am willing to come on the boat, laugh manically and sing "Spanish Ladies," if that would help?

Here is a photo 0f one of the sharks. We think they may be Silky Sharks. Any other ideas?

View attachment 176150
It looks a lot like a silky, but the shark's head is turned away and you can't see the length of the nose very well. The elongated nose of a silky is what really gives it's distinction.

More pics!!

PH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom