Cave traing for a non cave diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Bit of an odd question perhaps, but what's are folks opinions on the value of cave training for a diver that's not necessarily interested in diving caves?

I got my cavern card back in the Spring (pun intended) and enjoyed the class immensly and did pretty well.

I've been diving about a year and a half, with 130 or so total dives logged. Probably half of these dives have been northeast wreck dives involving overhead pentration, line running, etc. I've been diving a "cave rig" for most of my diving career.

I just sort of have this feeling like I need/want to "complete" my cave training for two reasons...

First, to help make me a better/safer diver overall, and wreck diver specifically.

Second, and this is the odd part, is that I have this weird sort of "finish what I started" feeling about it

Long story short, I think I want to be cave-trained but not necessarily to dive caves. Is that so wrong?

:blinking:

Well, I might be a bit biased but... :wink:

I think cave training is some of the best dive training someone can take, especially if the intent is towards technical or O/E environments other than cave.

I don't think it's wrong at all. It's training that can be used in all other areas of diving.

I think Cave training has made my son and I much better divers in general. Well worth the time and money.

That´s basically why I did it and I think it was well worth it.

I also found, diving a whole bunch of different caves, that there are quite a few caves I enjoy just as much or more than some of the wrecks I´ve been on. I don´t know if I have the "bug" but whenever I get a chance to dive a cave, I´ll likely take it. I´ll also keep making trips to cave-country to keep my skills current.

Even if I didn´t feel that way, 8 days of non-stop dives and talking diving 24/7 with an instructor that held me to a higher standard then I´ve seen before with more knowledge about diving than I´m likely to accumulate in this lifetime undoubtedly made me a better diver...in whatever enviroment I choose to enter...

In short: Go for it!

I took cave training to enhance my other dive activities now I look for every chance I can get to get into a cave. Be careful what you wish for :)

absolutely! it's a good idea for anyone, as far as i'm concerned!

Makes good sense....any training you can afford to do in scuba is of a benefit....you might also consider the TDI Advanced Wreck program....good luck and safe diving!

I just sort of have this feeling like I need/want to "complete" my cave training for two reasons...

What do you mean by "complete"? Basic cave? Apprentice cave? Full cave? Advanced cave? Cave stage diver? Lots of options and I'm just curious what "complete" would mean to you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom