cave vs open water dpv

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I will do an OW dpv course and then some local OW dpv diving just to get some practice and will try to find a cave trained instructor

But, because there is almost no information online about kosher and non-kosher dpv techniques/handling/best practices, I am hoping the great minds of SB can give some advice on that.

What are some of the best practices when it comes to dpvs and what is something that could be a red flag during the course?

Also, is there any point for paying for the plastic ccard? How anal are dive shops about renting a dpv if you say you have the cert but dont have the ccard?

I personally wouldn't bother with OW DPV training unless the organization you are planning cave DPV with has it as a pre-requisite. Other than dealing with failure modes a DPV isn't that complicated to operate other than navigation.

My opinion as a fairly new OW DPV user.

...and your cave diving experience is...?

None which is why I only addressed OW DPV training.
You missed the point that cave DPV is a different thing because it happens in a cave, and your cave DPV instruction really begins with an understanding that you have good, solid control of your DPV already, because the cave atmosphere is so different from OW.

I personally wouldn't bother with OW DPV training unless the organization you are planning cave DPV with has it as a pre-requisite. Other than dealing with failure modes a DPV isn't that complicated to operate other than navigation.

Sounds like you had a crummy OP DPV class. Sorry to hear it.

I’d like to introduce you to my dive buddies Dunning and Kreuger
Good friends..always trying to tag-along.

OP--I am getting ready for my DPV cave class. I have limited DPV experience but a healthy respect for caves and cave preservation. Surviving DPV mishaps is only a part of the equation. The other part are caves. You may handle a misbehaving DPV fine, but there is a good chance you'll cause irreversible cave damage, at least when measured by our life spans. It takes millennia for cave formations to be what they are now, so please don't fsck it up. We have enough a-holes walking on clay in Double Domes and fingering rocks in Little River.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom