cavern/cave diving on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murfef

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new here on Oahu and I'm looking for anyone into cavern/cave diving. I'm certified cavern and want to find all of the good cavern dives. There seems to be a disconnect on what I consider cavern diving and what most people around here think is cavern diving. I want to become full cave one day. I've also heard that there are some sink holes that are diveable around Sharks Cove. Any help would be appreciated. If you wanna get together and dive, just let me know, I've actually had a tough time finding people that want to dive. I've been surprised at how many people don't dive here. Let's get together and dive. I did just join Dive Oahu so maybe I'll get the opportunity to meet some people through them.

If you find out where the real "Ulua Cave" is, I'll gladly go dive it with you. :cool2:

Be warned though, I don't carry bottled air anymore.

-Paul

talk to scuba drew about north shore sharks cove. I would say he knows it very well. kirsten knows where they are too. also charle kline is well versed on sharks cove. good chance I will be up there wednesday doing a couple solo dives on the right side....far right top watering past the first two fingers then droping down. theres some awesome rock formations there and tubes and cavarn like enclosures. i m considering carrying an extra tank and just doing one very long dive.

was at northshore today and went into the blue room, now i have never even come close to taking a close look at deadmens cave but today I went to take closer look and so I went into the mouth or maybe a bit deeper but making sure i kept a close eye on the exit. just looking around gave me the creeps.

In my very limited experience, there aren't any caves or caverns around Oahu that are anywhere comparable to what's in the upper 48. We do have lots of lava tubes but sea action tends to collapse or unroof them. So most of the stuff here tends to be fairly straightforward swim-thrus; e.g. Makaha Caverns and Shark's Cove and outside of Malaekahana Bay.

I've been diving Shark's Cove since the mid -60's. But although I might have more general memories of the place, ScubaDrew's undoubtedly got the place wired in detail far better'n me. His truck's been at Shark's Cove at least as often as I have this summer -- well, I haven't seen it weekdays.

Sorry, I also don't blow bubbles anymore. But I'm nowhere near Deaf Paul's league -- never will be. My limited abilities are adequate for Shark's Cove.

At Shark's Cove, what's well-known as the "Elevator" is what we used to call the "toilet bowl" old post No kidding, more than a few people have gotten trapped and died in there; the 3 Marines who got eaten are mentioned here 1987. It's practically irreversible; once in, you're committed. Don't try it if there's any surge pumping. Tighten down and streamline your gear; especially have control of your BC cross-section, tank, and any danglies. Have negative buoyancy. If you have a hood, wear it to cushion your head. Make sure it's clear before entering; do not go in on the heels of another; if she gets stuck, you both might be screwed. I prefer to extend one arm forward with the other tucked down near my chest -- the extended one will pull along, shine the light, and clear any surprise hazards (urchins, eels, and a long time ago, lobsters) while the other is in position to get control of any loosened or problem gear. The tunnel is mostly rounded rocks and fairly straight. It can silt up bad but it's a simple tube; just keep truckin' forward.

Except for the cavern at the far right-side point, most of the other tubes boring into the shelf are pretty much dead-ends; pinching down to impassable. For these, because there's no room to turn, my technique was to go in feet first. That avoids the danger of becoming trapped from going in headfirst and, while trying to backout, the BC or tank bottom hangs up on projecting rocks. Besides, if there's something already in the tunnel, I'd rather have it take first whack/bite at my fins than my face.

As for Ulua Cave, item #3 here

If you find out where the real "Ulua Cave" is, I'll gladly go dive it with you. :cool2:

As for Ulua Cave, item #3 here

Hiya Blue,

Yeah, that's the place that many people think of when "ulua cave" is mentioned. I've free-dived it and found it rather barren and limited. The only thing of interest I saw was a large, brave mu (big eye emperor) hanging out in the "cave". No, I didn't shoot it. However, there is another cave that's being called ulua cave that I really want to check out/explore. Supposedly on Oahu. Two different accounts report it being at 110' and another at 180'.

YouTube - Return to the Deep Ulua Cave of Kaena Point, Scuba Diving West Oahu 3/12/10

YouTube - Scuba Diving Oahu Hawaii Ulua Cave

YouTube - Scuba Diving Oahu Hawaii Ulua Cave

180' is a bit of a stretch for me as I run out of air to clear my ears and repressurize my mask with at 165'. I'm pathetic like that.

-Paul

As others have mentioned, Shark's Cove has some "caves", but a friend of mine who is Intro-to-Cave and dives sidemount took a shot at them with me and the Deadman's Cave is very much so: super restrictive and very easy to get turned around.

One thing I would recommend would be talking to Joakim or Matt at Island Divers, both are GUE Cave2 certified divers and I know for sure that Jo at least has done some exploring of the caves at Shark's Cove, and elsewhere on the island. I'd also recommend talking to ScubaDrew, he's super knowledgeable about the local diving we have here.

Other than that, welcome to paradise.

Peace,
Greg

wow, lots of good info. Seems like there is probably more than enough to keep me busy. I'm not full cave so I'm not looking for full caves to go into so I guess it will work out ok for me. Sounds like there is plenty cavern for me to dive and maybe get some good practice on running my reels etc. etc. From what you all are saying, sounds like I might need to get up with ScubaDrew. And as far as you that aren't blowing bubbles anymore, you too good to strap on a tank and go with us lowly bubble blowers? LOL :joke:

I also wanted to mention that I'm planning on being at Three Tables Sat. morning around 8. I recently joined the Dive Oahu club and I'll be down there with them. If you see me, come by and say hi. I drive a black suburban with South Carolina plates. It kind of stands out with those plates. lol

sorry have students this weekend. but was up there today with scubadrew and we did three tables,no doubt about it drew knows every inch of that area. the caves, or swimthru or what ever you want to call them we went thru was unreal and i had never even known they were there.

Back
Top Bottom