cavern/cave diving on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hiya Blue,

Yeah, that's the place that many people think of when "ulua cave" is mentioned. I've free-dived it and found it rather barren and limited. The only thing of interest I saw was a large, brave mu (big eye emperor) hanging out in the "cave". No, I didn't shoot it. However, there is another cave that's being called ulua cave that I really want to check out/explore. Supposedly on Oahu. Two different accounts report it being at 110' and another at 180'.

YouTube - Return to the Deep Ulua Cave of Kaena Point, Scuba Diving West Oahu 3/12/10

YouTube - Scuba Diving Oahu Hawaii Ulua Cave

YouTube - Scuba Diving Oahu Hawaii Ulua Cave

180' is a bit of a stretch for me as I run out of air to clear my ears and repressurize my mask with at 165'. I'm pathetic like that.

-Paul

I've been sightseeing to the Lahilahi ulua "cave" only 3 times; the first time in 1971, the last 1989. Only the first time was there a half-dozen small guys; maybe 15-20#. Squat since then.

There are as many "ulua caves" and "moi holes" as there are fishermen and divers/spearos. Of course, every one is in a "secret spot" and "I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya". The only way is to track down the horse and see if it talks. Start with HawaiiScubaTV and you'll find the guy.

180'? Gimme a break. 45', just over a minute is my limit. Been only really getting into it for about 4 months. But I'm not planning on pushing for too much more depth; bottom time needs some work, I'd be totally happy with another 40-45sec.

Last edited:
I also wanted to mention that I'm planning on being at Three Tables Sat. morning around 8. I recently joined the Dive Oahu club and I'll be down there with them. If you see me, come by and say hi. I drive a black suburban with South Carolina plates. It kind of stands out with those plates. lol

I'll be lookin'. Me and the Mrs. are thinking of heading to the Cove about that time. She swims her laps looking for turtles. I do my up'n'down routine looking for bottom crawlers like octopus and frogfish. About an hour or so. Look for a guy with longblades; Cressi 3000LD's. They're "beginner's" fins but suit me just fine.

sorry have students this weekend. but was up there today with scubadrew and we did three tables,no doubt about it drew knows every inch of that area. the caves, or swimthru or what ever you want to call them we went thru was unreal and i had never even known they were there.
\

We all need to get together so I can learn my way around. I figure that you can never have enough dive buddies. What kind of class are you teaching?

doing an confined water on sat and then the open water class on sun.
hopefully if time permits i will do my daughters confined sunday afternoon.

Sounds fun, I wanna get some more classes done, I want to become an instructor one day. I had an awsome instructor (Shirley Kasser aka SSK, she's probably reading this so I won't mention her multiple personalities LOL)and I want to be able to pass that on.

I'm just too sexy for tanks these days. :D

Nah, I don't really subscribe to the "I"m better than you" mentality - I just like to tease you guys. :popcorn:

With that out of the way, I dove at two "caves" this week.

VERY boring videos, especially at the 2nd cave as it was too dark for my GoPro Hero HD. I wish they would make a version with better low-light performance. But anyways, only click if you have nothing better to do except to look at a lot of black....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPpwtm8lio

-Paul

Last edited:
well as fun dives go I have been doing more three tables. top water to the 60 foot drop off gets very interesting.the only thing im looking for at sharks cove is whats past that third finger heading north.

Back
Top Bottom