Cavern Class: Morrison 7-28 & Jackson Blue 7-29-7 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenny P.:
Clay,
Looking forward to working with you soon.
Bless,
Kenny P.

Me too.

SuPrBuGmAn:
The spool and no-name safety reel I currently have were both bought locally. I've tried a few primaries, and another safety(different style) now, and I'll likely go elsewhere to buy those particular brands whether it be the internet, or dive shops abroad.

Thanks for the input.

Dive-aholic:
I'm partial to the Ralph Hood reel. You should be able to find something in the High Springs area. If not, check at TDL. They started carrying them in the past year. If you want to try one before buying, let me know. I can also let you try a Diverite and Halcyon (if I haven't sold the Halcyon by then).

Thanks for the suggestions. I may take you up on that offer.

You do understand that when Bugman says "abroad" he means "outside Alabama," right?
:D
Rick

I love the smoothness of the Ralph Hood reels and was all set to buy one. However, I noticed they had two things I did not like.

1. The permanently attached snapbolt uses a metal to metal connection, and this is a no-no in my book.

2. The handle on the sidewinder is fairly thin metal and I was really concerned about the edge being a bit sharp and cutting into my hand after a longer dive.

Maybe silly concerns, but enough to send me looking for a Delrin reel instead.

We looked at Dive-aholic's reels when I was in Tucson, and it didn't look as though it would be difficult to remove the metal-to-metal connection and replace it with a cave line tie.

What I liked about the RH reel was that it was smaller and seemed easier to hold. I have the dickens of a time with my Pathfinder reel, with my hand cramping up from holding it in proper position.

Dive-aholic:
I'm partial to the Ralph Hood reel. You should be able to find something in the High Springs area. If not, check at TDL. They started carrying them in the past year. If you want to try one before buying, let me know. I can also let you try a Diverite and Halcyon (if I haven't sold the Halcyon by then).

I have a few of the LG reels ( Ralph Hood ) in various sizes. Mat tried one of them during his Cavern course. The more I use them the more I like them. The sidewinder handle is comfortable with a slight learning curve. I think you can order them directly from Larry Green or Cave Excusions East stocks them, if you're in the HS area.
Bless,
Kenny P.

Yeah, I'm going with the Larry Green sidewinder reels(primary and safety), liked them alot, the action was crazy smooth.

Thanks again for letting me try em out Kenny!

PerroneFord:
I love the smoothness of the Ralph Hood reels and was all set to buy one. However, I noticed they had two things I did not like.

1. The permanently attached snapbolt uses a metal to metal connection, and this is a no-no in my book.

It's just bolted on. The bolt can be pull off and the snapbolt tied on as Lynne states.

2. The handle on the sidewinder is fairly thin metal and I was really concerned about the edge being a bit sharp and cutting into my hand after a longer dive.

When will you be holding the reel that long? Unless you're doing exploration, then you should be holding each reel for less than 5 minutes at a time. If you're doing exploration, then you'll need to go with a different reel. I haven't seen any RH exploration reels.

I know Larry started putting his signature series mark on the reels, but I believe that stopped because of issues with OMS.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Yeah, I'm going with the Larry Green sidewinder reels(primary and safety), liked them alot, the action was crazy smooth.

Thanks again for letting me try em out Kenny!

Mat,
Have you looked at Eagle's Nest Technical Divers website? I think I remember Larry offering those on his website? My pleasure letting give them a wind!
Bless,
Kenny P.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom