Cavern discovered at Aquarena Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VERY interesting,,,thanks!

Wow, this was a great find. From reading the article, it seems that they plan to "recap" the spring? How will they be able to explore the cavern and possible cave system if they do that? I'm also wondering why they will recap, what effects it would have on the lake if they don't? Thanks for sharing the info, Fetch.
Foo

The original diversion cap and pipe were installed during the 1950s to augment water flow in the old Submarine Theater that was a popular tourist attraction at the then Aquarena Springs Resort. Texas State University-San Marcos bought the property in 1994 and has since been transforming it into an educational and visitors center.

Here is a picture of me measuring the rate of water flow at Diversion:

Foo:
Wow, this was a great find. From reading the article, it seems that they plan to "recap" the spring? How will they be able to explore the cavern and possible cave system if they do that? I'm also wondering why they will recap, what effects it would have on the lake if they don't? Thanks for sharing the info, Fetch.
Foo
Teri, just read it and couldnt quite work out where you read that part abour recapping, can you quote it?

As for the cavern and possible cave system, sounds nice, but the flow sounds like it'd be too much to dive against unless its just due to the restriction at the entrance and inside its a bit more tame.

The team took the old components with them back to Fort Worth. In a few weeks, they will return to install a new cap that was donated by the San Antonio Water System. The new diversion apparatus, like the old one, will be fitted with a net so that Dr. Glenn Longley of the Edwards Aquifer Research Center can once again capture Texas Blind Salamanders there

I would seriously doubt anyone would ever be allowed to explore the cave system due in part to liability to the University and the fact that an endangered species is periodically found there.

TwoBit

simbrooks:
As for the cavern and possible cave system, sounds nice, but the flow sounds like it'd be too much to dive against unless its just due to the restriction at the entrance and inside its a bit more tame.

That's exactly what I was thinking, Simon, although I have not been privvy to any information on this up until now. Trust me, the water flow does get pretty strong at times. It's not quite like trying to swim against the ocean current, but that would be a good analogy to a lesser extent.

While this is an incredible opportunity there seems to be limited options. I am not sure the schedule to replace the cap but any work in the park requires certain academic overview because of the sensitivity of the lake to change. This will be interesting to see if they replace the plug since they are trying to revert the park back to its natural state.

Interesting Picture
http://www.aquarena.txstate.edu/

Cave divers are used to extreme flow situations, getting used to the water movement is part of the training. The flow would be reduced if the cap was removed and in most situations when you enter the system the opening is a restriction within itself. So entering the cave you might notice the flow is not nearly as bad depending on the conduit.

I am sure that a few people are looking into this. It would be great to map the cave and see if there are any archeological finds within the cave.

Regards, Andrew

Back
Top Bottom