Cavern...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubastud16

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Who are you reccomendations for cavern training? Any experiences to heed?

Thanks in advance guys. I've been doing a lot of research on this (yes, I have used the search button), and really want to get it done right.

Thanks!

Danny

Thanks in advance guys. I've been doing a lot of research on this (yes, I have used the search button), and really want to get it done right.

Thanks!

Danny

If you intend on going on to full cave eventually, you should start in doubles right from the getgo. If you don't have any experience in doubles, I can run you through a buoyancy and trim class, until you feel comfortable with a BP-W and Doubles.

Other than controling your trim, just remember to have a good time. Do you have an instructor picked out yet?

PM me if you're interested.

Cavern is a great class, but you'll get more out of it if you have done some buoyancy/trim/propulsion work beforehand. Mike's offer is a good one, or you can take a Fundies class, which is what I did.

Thanks!

Danny

Capt. Jim Wyatt in High Springs Fl.
If you pass "cavern" with Jim, you'll have a SOLID foundation to build upon.

Mike;

Instructor suggestions is what I'm hoping for. I don't know what I want to do yet as far as full cave training goes. This is just a stepping stone for me. I love diving in springs, and want to give cavern a try. Maybe I'll advance to basic cave afterwards...who knows.

Double aren't really an option at the moment. I guess I could rent, but all of my diving elsewhere is done with AL 80's or HP 100's.

I'm a college guy on a college budget, so if that means saving for a while longer to get it done right, that's what I'll have to do.

All the best,

Danny

There's a ton of great instructors from Orlando and up to the northern FL peninsula, and then into the panhandle. Finding a good one shouldn't be difficult, several have already been mentioned.

If you aren't already comfortable in the gear, dive it, dive it alot, and try diving it with cave oriented buddies in OW sites(like Alexander). Classes are great to help with this kind of thing, but experience works just as well if not better.

Mike;

Instructor suggestions is what I'm hoping for. I don't know what I want to do yet as far as full cave training goes. This is just a stepping stone for me. I love diving in springs, and want to give cavern a try. Maybe I'll advance to basic cave afterwards...who knows.

Double aren't really an option at the moment. I guess I could rent, but all of my diving elsewhere is done with AL 80's or HP 100's.

I'm a college guy on a college budget, so if that means saving for a while longer to get it done right, that's what I'll have to do.

All the best,

Danny

There are many good instructors around the N. Fl. area. Most of these instructors have websites, you can search for them or go to NACD & NSS-CDS and they have instructor listings with their websites & contact info. NAUI also has a listing of Instructors qualified to teach Cavern & Cave. Find one that fits your learning style, and go with them. I see these guys teach all the time, and there are not really any that I would not recommend. Be careful though because once you experience the darkness, you may spend all of your college budget on diving caves. :D

Be careful though because once you experience the darkness, you may spend all of your college budget on diving caves. :D

Isn't that the truth :D

Cheers :D

I know it wasn't your original question.... So do you have a regular buddy to take the class with? I would try and cultivate some cavern/cave buddy relationships. Someone to take the class with and use your common training with.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom