Cayman Brac Airport Connection question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdcpa:
The last flight out to LC has time limitations due to the fact that there are not any lights on the airstrip in Little Cayman. Otherwise, you would have probably made your flight.

You are right, most of those flights are pretty booked up.

The flight to Little Cayman is 40 minutes. I have arrived as late as 6:30 on previous flights at this time of year (because they had waited for passengers) and we had at least an hours daylight left. Incidentally, I go to Little Cayman about 3 times a year, and as I recall, the last scheduled flight from Grand used to be at 5:15 or 5:30.

Keys:

Not to get into any contest with you, but I will shortly be making my fourth trip to Little Cayman this year so I am not unfamiliar with what I am talking about either. My point was that there are no landing lights on LC and therefore there are daylight limitations as to when the plane can depart for LC and then leave LC. Not being a pilot I can't speak as to what they define as daylight and exactly what their operational hours are with regard to LC. They know better than either of us. Maybe after the Lufthansa audit they came up with new policies, who knows?

If the plane left you at 5:11 you got screwed. The last flight is scheduled to leave at 5:15 in the summer. There should be no excuse for that since you were there waiting to get on and they obviously knew it.

There is a lot of complaining on the smaller islands about the difficulty of getting on those flights as they fill up fast and tend to travel full. Thus traveling on short notice is difficult for them. They are asking for more flights. Cayman Airways has promised to look at that, but are indicating that without more equipment it may not be possible. Since they bought both of those Twin Otters earlier this year, and they are losing money, they may not be inclined to buy more aircraft for the Express service yet. Particularly since there are discussions regarding purchasing a new jet, but there are issues regarding the carrying costs and insured costs of the ones they own now to be completed first.

Earlier this year they added some lights of some sort to allow for that later flight. It gets into LC at about 5:55 PM and back to GC arriving a little after 7:00 PM, after a stop on the Brac.

There is also the jet which goes over to the Brac, departing at 6:20 PM which is later than the Cayman Airways Express flights.

Sorry you had a bad experience on that early departure. I don't like that flight because the grocery store closes before you can get there.

This is an example of what happens when you lose competition. Ever since supporters of Cayman Airways used their connections in the Government to force out Island Air, the quality of service to Little Cayman has gone down.

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom