Cayman Brac Food Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, my wife and I are contemplating a 7-10 day stay on the Brac early 2024. Most likely a VRBO condo and a car and mostly shore diving with a few boat dives. Wondering how much I need to budget for food, we will eat 75-80% of meals the condo. Any idea what the current food prices are like? Dozen eggs, loaf of bread, pound of coffee, rice, pasta, beef, chicken etc? How about dinner out per person?

TIA,
arew

After years of doing the VRBO thing, we now think that the Alexander is the way to go. Food is expensive in Cayman Brac. We used to bring a cooler of frozen chicken, meat, and bacon. That was a huge inconvenience. Now that they charge per bag, it is not really worth it. You can get the $25 a day breakfast and dinner meal plan and not have to worry about it. The chef and the food was fantastic.

Take what you pay locally and multiply it by at least 3. Little competition, barge delivery and captive audience equals high costs.

I forgot to mention that you may not want to go to cayman Brac in Jan or Feb. During the winter months, the wind shifts and comes more from the north. This makes it difficult in general to shore dive the north side spots.

Hello, my wife and I are contemplating a 7-10 day stay on the Brac early 2024. Most likely a VRBO condo and a car and mostly shore diving with a few boat dives. Wondering how much I need to budget for food, we will eat 75-80% of meals the condo. Any idea what the current food prices are like? Dozen eggs, loaf of bread, pound of coffee, rice, pasta, beef, chicken etc? How about dinner out per person?

TIA,
arew
Will be going down in 8 days, so will let you know if I can remember. We stay at a VRBO and eat about half our meals there, usually breakfast and lunch. Dinner is usually at a local restaurant. There are some less expensive options such as Star Island, Pat’s Kitchen and Coral Isle. Their takeout’s are usually $13-$16CI and there is enough for 1 meal with some leftovers. Stick with fish or chicken as less expensive options as beef is very costly. Buffets are also a good value relatively speaking. As @divezonescuba mentioned, Jan/Feb can be hit or miss with diving. Renting a car is almost a necessity unless you are staying at Brac Reef resort. Some items like coffee, jar of peanut butter etc. we will bring down with us. Good luck with planning and let us know how it goes.

Sorry for the delay, but there has been much diving and fish to annoy.
All prices are in Cayman dollars and the exchange rate is fixed at
$1CI = $1.25 US

Apples 3 golden Del. $6.45
Bananas. $1.79 per lbs
Black seedless grapes. $1.62 per lbs
Cat food. $1.59 per small can
Coconut bread. $4.29 per large loaf
Diet Coke. $1.00 per can for singles
Mandarins. $9.89 for 3 lb bag
Milk 2% $5.99 quart
Monster Energy $2.85 per can
Romaine lettuce. $6.69 for 3 bunches

Gas is currently $5.99 per Imperial gallon which is slightly more than a US
gallon. The good news is that your rental car will be powered by 3 Cylinders of Fury and gets really, really good gas mileage.
Most restaurant takeout meals at local restaurants will run about $12-$15 for an entree with a couple of sides
Please feel to DM if you have any questions. Good luck

Sorry for the delay, but there has been much diving and fish to annoy.
All prices are in Cayman dollars and the exchange rate is fixed at
$1CI = $1.25 US

Apples 3 golden Del. $6.45
Bananas. $1.79 per lbs
Black seedless grapes. $1.62 per lbs
Cat food. $1.59 per small can
Coconut bread. $4.29 per large loaf
Diet Coke. $1.00 per can for singles
Mandarins. $9.89 for 3 lb bag
Milk 2% $5.99 quart
Monster Energy $2.85 per can
Romaine lettuce. $6.69 for 3 bunches

Gas is currently $5.99 per Imperial gallon which is slightly more than a US
gallon. The good news is that your rental car will be powered by 3 Cylinders of Fury and gets really, really good gas mileage.
Most restaurant takeout meals at local restaurants will run about $12-$15 for an entree with a couple of sides
Please feel to DM if you have any questions. Good luck
Thanks for the detailed reply, it is very helpful. They do seem like next level "island prices". Maybe an all inclusive starts to make sense, I doubt it but will have to take a hard look at it.

Thanks for the detailed reply, it is very helpful. They do seem like next level "island prices". Maybe an all inclusive starts to make sense, I doubt it but will have to take a hard look at it.
Everything has to be shipped in by barge or flown in so that adds quite a bit to the cost. I personally enjoy hitting the local places to eat and since my shore dive to boat diving ratio is about 90% shore to 10% boat, I stay at a VRBO on the West End. My family says that is because I am cheap. While true, I do enjoy diving at my own pace and going to some of the more obscure dive sites. If you do decide to go the DIY route, DM and I will let you know my thoughts about some things

Everything has to be shipped in by barge or flown in so that adds quite a bit to the cost. I personally enjoy hitting the local places to eat and since my shore dive to boat diving ratio is about 90% shore to 10% boat, I stay at a VRBO on the West End. My family says that is because I am cheap. While true, I do enjoy diving at my own pace and going to some of the more obscure dive sites. If you do decide to go the DIY route, DM and I will let you know my thoughts about some things
Thanks, will do when we get closer to pulling the trigger!

TIA,
arew
If you have to ask. Well you know the rest :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom