caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mlove: Diving either the Brac or Little Cayman during the winter can be risky because of the winter (norther) storms.
Becasue of the orientation of the islands with regard to the prevailing strong winter winds, you could wind up reading paperbacks for a good part of your dive trip. I have been diving both of these islands since 1988 just about every month of the year. I quit going from December through April about four years ago because of the often bad weather. The diving on the Brac has deteriorated over the past decade. As much as 30% of the major reef-forming corals are bleached and much of the rest are covered with macroalgae.

In fact, the boat I usually dive from (Little Cayman Diver II) has quit trying to dive those islands in the winter and has moved to Grand Cayman until April.

Little Cayman has undoubtedly the best diving in the Caribbean. Nothing can match Bloody Bay and its magnificent walls. I have been just about everywhere in the Caribbean and have almost 500 dives off Little Cayman and the Brac.

Please dive there from April through September !!

Sorry if I sound discouraging but it has happened to me there and you should be aware of it.

Actually, since Grand Cayman has a leeward shore duting the winter (the south shore) one can dive there almost any time of the year.

Regards--The Professor

Wow lots of good information, that should help me make a decision. Grand Cayman sounds pretty good. Do I want to wear my skin or my 3 mm suit this time of year?
Thanks,
Mike

I would reccommend your 3 mil. The water temp right now is 80 degrees but can drop down to around 76-78. Even though that's mighty warm after diving consecutive dives you can get a little chilled. No sense in being uncomfortable while you're on vacation! Happy Diving! Casey

Hi mlove,

Thermal protection is a highly individual matter.

The "Ask RSD" column/June 2000 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine carried the following edited item which may provide an orientation for answering your question:

"1. What type of wetsuit will I need to dive the Caymans in March?

Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask such a question, you'll get answers ranging all the way from 'just a bathing suit' through '5 mm full.'

The question might better be phrased: 'What water temps can I anticipate in the Caymans in March?' You can receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs."

That having been said, Cayman Islands water temps in March
should be around 78, give or take a degree or two. I can tell you that on your trip if my choices were skin v 3 mm, I'd go with the later in a New York minute. Whether this would work for you, I cannot say. I like being toasty.

You should have a great time.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom