Question CCR for recreational depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is just one out of many articles with stuff from the real world you've never heard about:

Actually, I have read about Olivier Isler. Your article is a story from 2006. Isler was not doing the things I described in 1985. But that's all kind of beside the point. I set this up as:

…describe that scenario to a 1985 rec diver…

Go back & read my comment again. Remember:

RIF-logo-resized.jpg

I’m calling BS, our chest is way too cluttered for thumping :wink:

WRT CCRs going mainstream , I really don’t think it’s a good idea. Most OW classes I’ve seen have a couple of students who lack physical aptitude, who are extremely anxious, and/or breathe way too damn fast. That is scary on OC, on CCR it’s going to be lethal way too often.
I agree.
At the times CCRs were used here as the basic training system for novices, a number of students (almost 50% !) were expelled from the course and judged inapt for diving.

Actually, I have read about Olivier Isler. Your article is a story from 2006. Isler was not doing the things I described in 1985. But that's all kind of beside the point.
You didn't get it. They were at it already in the 80s and already had rebreather and it even says so in the article. I just gave one article to show you how silly your comment was.

Doing deep dives and using rebreathers has been around for much longer than you think. It's just not something you can learn about on youtube.

Hmmm. Can a J-valve fail? (Assuming anyone who uses one for recreational diving using tables knows "down" when filling, "up" when commencing a dive, periodically check for "up" while diving, pull "down" and ascend if detect breathing resistance.)

rx7diver
The Technisub spring-loaded reserve did not suffer of any of tvese problem. The tank can be filled even with the valve "up", and if you pull the rod by error before the pressure is below the preset "reserve" value (usually 50 or 70 bars), it will come up again by itself, thanks to the spring.
That valve is way safer than an SPG...
It was the most common one here when I started diving.
I never understood why it was not a worldwide success.

Doing deep dives and using rebreathers has been around for much longer than you think.

You're still pretending you responded to what I actually wrote, re: "describe that scenario to a 1985 rec diver." Remember:

RIF-logo-resized.jpg

I never understood why it was not a worldwide success.
Apparently some people would start the dive with an almost empty tank and with the valve pulled open and didn't realise it. That's what I was told at least.

You're still pretending you responded to what I actually wrote, re: "describe that scenario to a 1985 rec diver."
Just let me know when you know more about these iron man rebreather suits, buddy. 🤣

Just let me know when you know more about these iron man rebreather suits, buddy. 🤣

Changing the subject. Right on schedule !

Changing the subject. Right on schedule !
Sure
Unless something unpleasant happens with humankind in the next few years, I imagine CCR will eventually become the norm, usable by any diver.

It would require compact AI hardware, with an extensive sensor suite that tracks all relevant metrics, incl. biometrics. Since the redundant dive computer has human-level intelligence (at minimum), it can safely monitor everything, and inform/warn the diver about any issues, and provide complete, conversational guidance. Sort of like Iron Man w/Jarvis. But you’ll still have to wait for the relevant PADI course.
😅

Apparently some people would start the dive with an almost empty tank and with the valve pulled open and didn't realise it. That's what I was told at least.
although when I began diving an SPG was not part of standard equipment, we did use pressure gauges for checking each tank during the pre-dive procedures.
The procedure also included trying the reserve rod. With the Technisub spring loaded-valve, if the tank was below the reserve pressure, the spring does NOT pop up the valve after pulling it down. So you immediately know that the tank is empty.
That valve was very clever and really safe. People who did not use them cannot really understand how it worked.
Here you see it (on a twin tank, of course - at the time no one here was using a single tank with a single reg):
s-l500.jpg

Back
Top Bottom