cebu area; backpacker friendly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thx for the tips guys!

I am a DM but I guess it's impossible to work for free dives for one month? If it would be possible I would love spend the whole month on one spot.

Yep, pretty much impossible. Although you might find an op that would do it, i doubt it. Minimum wage is around P250 per day. And that's more than the hard costs for 1 dive in most places, so you'd be doing a lot more working than diving :)

Good luck with the trip.

Cebu Pacific does have crazy promotion from time to time. So get yourself registered with them on-line. I would check its web site everyday to make sure and do not forget that Philippines is at least 7-8 hrs ahead.
Singapore is another good exit point to Philippines. KL to Singapore is pretty fast even by bus.

@matt; yeah, was afraid of that. To be honest; i wouldn't hire a DM either if he doesn't know the sites by heart. Hiring a rich European/ American/ Asian for logistic tasks would be wrong for so many reasons.

@centrals; good idea, I will regsiter right away. Surprised about 7-8 hours though.. thought it was like 3-4 or so.

Time for some serious financial planning :)

Contact me a week or so before your trip.

If I am not traveling or too busy building my beach house, I can meet up with you and show you some of the local dive spots.

I don't see many solo backpackers, but I think it would be safe depending on you not doing anything stupid.

Hi There...

Try Backpacker Lodge if you intend to go to Moalboal (Link Links - Diving in Cebu Philippines. The accommodation starts from 275PHP per night and we also have an exclusive deal with them to provide their customers with cheap diving :). They are normally reasonably busy but not crowded so you should meet a few folks.

The diving at Cebu Dive Centre starts at 765PHP and we also offer NITROX for free :)

In Moalboal we have several different bars including Chili's, Decostop just name a few where you can relax or shoot a game of pool.

For food (European)...breakfast costs approx 175-200PHP, eggs, bacon and toast and dinner on average 300PHP. This all depends where and what you eat. Local Filipino food is also available in the small cafes for a lower price. A beer will cost you anywhere between 35-45PHP

In Moalboal you are in prime position to visit Dumagete, Malapascua and Bohol which can all be reached via a bus and boat ride.

Hope this helps! :)

If you require any further information please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Carl

hehe, thx for the invite

I will check your suggestions out Carl; just typing moalboal in google already makes me wanna head there

on air asia - one way from kul - crk on february 9 (just used that date for the heck of it) is under 80 usd including airport tax. getting from crk to wherever is another matter but the overland - boat options are very reasonablyy priced.

I'd avoid Clarke at all costs, unless you want to go to Clarke of course. Diving there is **** though ;-)

on air asia - one way from kul - crk on february 9 (just used that date for the heck of it) is under 80 usd including airport tax. getting from crk to wherever is another matter but the overland - boat options are very reasonablyy priced.
If you want to dive those wrecks in Subic Bay then Clark is your obvious choice.
But if you want to dive Anilao or PG then I do not see the reason of adding another two hrs road journey in your itinerary. A private transfer from Clark to Anilao is around P6,000.00(US$140.00) one way, add another P3,000.00(boat ) for PG. It is reasonable if you have deep pocket.
And If you want to dive around Cebu(Visayas) then you have to add another domestic flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom