cebu -> maasin -> cebu on weesam express

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
as of august 10, 2016, weesam express started running daily service departing cebu at 5:30 pm (with onward buses), returning 7:00 am (under 3 hours), with three classes of service.

this is far and away the best option to reach the dive resorts on sogod bay. fyi, maasin is 30 - 45 minutes from padre burgos by private car/van, and should be not more than a few minutes longer using the bus provided by weesam.

my experience is far fewer divers take advantage of some of the best diving in the philippines because sogod bay is (was) such a pain in the butt to get to. this should solve that problem.

will update next week, if necessary, from sogod bay.

as of august 10, 2016, weesam express started running daily service departing cebu at 5:30 pm (with onward buses), returning 7:00 am (under 3 hours), with three classes of service.

I did not get it? What are the schedule? How long does it take? Thank you

I did not get it? What are the schedule? How long does it take? Thank you
the weesam fast ferry leaves cebu city every afternoon at 5:30 pm. the trip takes under 3 hours. in maasin, there will be buses waiting to take you to padre burgos. the ferry leaves maasin for cebu city every morning at 7 am.

It will knock off couple of hrs in travelling. Great.
Would there be any tricycle awaiting the connection bus at Padre Burgos? Perhaps the dive resort will provide some kind of transport if you have given them advance notice.

Real World Update:

I was lucky enough to use the Weesam Ferry to Maasin (and back) a few weeks ago.

Ferry leaves Cebu City Pier 3, Terminal 2 at 6:00 am every morning. It's an ungodly hour, but you should arrive in Maasin at 9 am (I arrived at 9:10). The current prices are 650 pesos first class, 550 pesos tourist, and 450 pesos economy. Checking your gear is extra, but it will be handled by Weesam from the terminal, transported securely, and protected from the elements on top of the ferry and off loaded in Maasin. There is, of course, a minimal terminal fee to pay in Cebu, not included in the ticket. First class: 6 seats per row, 3 each side of the aisle. Tourist class: 8 seats per row, 4 each side of the aisle. Economy: don't even go there. Outside seating in blistering, thunderously loud conditions. If you want to experience it have a walk up and back there, but unless you are on an extremely tight budget experience it as a visitor. Snacks are available for purchase on board.

Arriving in Maasin: Weesam will have a nice, comfortable aircon bus waiting to take you as far as the city of Sogod (and the onward buses to anywhere in Leyte, and beyond, if you choose). If, like me, you are going to a dive resort in Lungsodaan, Padre Burgos, ask to be dropped off in front of your resort. The fare is 40 pesos and gear, transported in the luggage compartment under the bus, is included.

Ferry leaves Maasin City 9:30 am every morning. Remember to get the phone number of the bus driver from the Maasin City terminal when you initially arrive. The bus leaves Sogod City every morning at 7 am, passing Lungsodaan sometimes after 7:30 but before 8. Call the driver, let him know you will be waiting. The bus picked us up at exactly 7:45.

Ferry departs Maasin at 9:30 am and arrives in Cebu City at 12:30. Allow AT LEAST one hour for the taxi to CEB. There is road construction before the old Cebu/Mactan Bridge, constricting travel lanes to 1. And if that's not enough, the constriction is at the point where the national east/west highway meets the national north/south highway. :( So I guess that means do not even think about scheduling a departing flight before 2:30.

There is a local ferry to Mactan that leaves Pier 3 as it fills. That is all i know enough to say about it.

Last edited:

this is far and away the best option to reach the dive resorts on sogod bay. fyi, maasin is 30 - 45 minutes from padre burgos by private car/van, and should be not more than a few minutes longer using the bus provided by weesam.

my experience is far fewer divers take advantage of some of the best diving in the philippines because sogod bay is (was) such a pain in the butt to get to. this should solve that problem.

will update next week, if necessary, from sogod bay.
Is Malapascua good for diving? I'm planning on going to five with the Thresher sharks in November

As of Monday 10th October, 2016 Weesam Express will be running a 2nd return trip from Cebu City to Maasin. Times are:
Depart Cebu 1.30pm, arrive Maasin 4.30pm
Depart Maasin 5pm, arrive Cebu 8pm.

I've booked a trip to Sogod in January and I'm really excited.
Does anyone have any favorite dive sites there?
I'd love to hear people's impressions of the diving.
I'm also hitting up Romblon prior to Sogod. Melibe Colmani here I come!

1. The sanctuary at Napantau.
2. The night dive at the Jetty in Padres Bugos, only available couple of times a week!!! Don't miss it if you like macro. 8-10m max.
3. Limasawa Island
4. Malitbog Lembeh(macro). Saw my first solar power nudibranch there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom