Certification at Cozumel Resort - Sufficient?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark99:
Extrapolate inbetween. Anything in the mid-low 50s and below- time to take the dry suit class.

People are different, in my dive class we had a woman who got cold in the pool and shivered all the time, the pool was 83 degrees. I was comfy as were the others.

I feel ok in 51 degree water with a 7mm suit and at 55 I consider it quite nice, but I know of others that think it's freezing at those same temps. You'll find out when you try it, but most likely you'll want a 7mm suit if you plan on diving much at all.

My LDS PADI OW consists of 4 class room sessions of around 2-3 hrs each with another 3 to 4 hrs in the pool after each class session. Then 4 OW dives lasting 45 minutes or so depending on the class size and ability. Overall, they sound about the same, just layed out a little different.

It's not exactly per the spirit of the book, the first two OW dives are supposed to be "up to 40 ft" and the second two "up to 60 ft". I did my OW in Thailand and my instructor took me down to the prescribed depth, and we generally worked our way up a bit before surfacing.

This is wrong. PADI has a minimum depth and minimum time / air used and a maximum. If you are in between everything is ok with PADI. If you are 1 foot deeper they come down on the instructor.

Everything with PADI is black and white, there is no gray area. You do it their way and that’s it.

You do not have to dive in cold water to be a good diver. I have been from upper Lake Michigan to the tropics and there are good divers and not so good divers everywhere.

What I look for is experience for the type of dive you are getting ready to do.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom