Certification - Jamaica, Cuba or Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandigrl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings!

I'm currently in Jamaica at the beginning of a month long "fly by the seat of my pants" travel adventure. I had very little time to plan this and thus wasn't able to do the research I would have liked relative to doing some diving while traveling.

I'm currently in Jamaica (Oracabessa), leaving on Nov 1
Cuba Nov 1 - Nov 21
Belize Nov 22 - Nov 27

I've only ever completed the PADI resort certification (years ago). Of course I could do that again here in Jamaica and then dive also in Cuba and Belize. If I wanted to pursue open water certification, would you suggest I do that here in Jamaica given PADI doesn't operate training in Cuba? Or if I did the canadian certification (ACUC) in Cuba, is that transferable to PADI?

I'm in chillaxing mode and given that I leave here in 4 days I'm not even sure open water certification is possible here at this point.

Experienced insights and recommendations (particularly with Cuba) are appreciated.

Cheers!

Time to start planning now. Whatever certification you choose ( I am a PADI guy) you should get the written materials and work through them now. PADI has on line materials. Perhaps you can register at a shop in Jamaica and get materials. Then you can work through them in Cuba, and book the confined and open water classes with a Belize dive center. You can do the course in 4 days if you do all the academic work in advance, if a dive center offers that option. By the way, there is no "resort certification." What you probably did was a "discover scuba diving " experience. I wish I had insight on Cuba, but I don't. My input is strictly for the Belize alternative. I will be anxious to read about Cuba as others post.
DivemasterDennis

Or if I did the canadian certification (ACUC) in Cuba, is that transferable to PADI?
Certification is certification. So there's no need to become PADI certified to dive anywhere in the world. Or transfer certification.

ACUC is a founding member of the RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Council) So that should work if you have more time to complete it in Cuba. They also have e-elearning if you read Spanish. Elearning

You probably don't have enough time left to complete PADI certification in Jamaica. Classroom/dives will typically be done over at least two days. Personally it's not something I'd rush.

I believe (but I'm not sure) that if you later take a PADI course like Advanced OW or Rescue Diver, you will be issued a PADI card. That's how it works on Open Water referrals typically where the student has taken the classroom portion thru another agency.

I was quite happy with doing my OW in belize. I did it on caye caulker with belize dive services. Their training is through SDI.

They had me complete the training online before I got there and then I did the confined water off the end of their dock and then two days of two dive each right after that

I had a HORRIBLE experience my first time doing discover scuba. When I went to Jamaica I was so impressed with the instructor I tried discover scuba again. I was so happy with that experience that I got certified. The instructor wasn't going to take me until I told him I was there for 2 weeks. I think any good instructor would not want to certify you by November 1st. Not sure what diving is like near Oracabessa but I'd give discover scuba a try just for the experience.

I'd be careful in Cuba. Cuba was the first place I went diving after getting certified in Jamaica and it did not go well. They did a number of things which made me very nervous. After my first dive I stopped diving in Cuba and stuck to land tours. Years later I was talking to a shop owner in Canada about it. I never mentioned where I was diving but the shop owner's first guess was I was diving in Cuba. I have since hear good stories about diving in Cuba but you have to be careful.

I have some friends who are ACUC. If you check World Recreational Scuba Training Council you'll see that ACUC, PADI and SDI are in WRSTC. So ACUC is as good as PADI certification. However, getting support (c-cards, verifying you are certified, additional training, etc.) from PADI tends to be a little better. Occasionally you'll have to argue that ACUC is just as good as PADI as some shops in the world won't immediately recognize it.

Maybe you can spend the time signing into PADI for eLearning. Do all the class work online while in Cuba (or this week). If you get that done, sign up to a PADI shop in Belize and start the moment you get to Belize (email the shops to make sure this can happen). You should be able to be certified by November 27.

Bottom line however is if you trust the instructor, that is the place you want to get certified. No matter which agency, a good instructor is a good instructor.

Since Cuba is next and most of your time will be spent there, I'd focus on getting the ACUC certification there. If you're going to get certified it makes sense to me to do it sooner rather than later, so then you can just dive when you want. (I know nothing of ACUC - hopefully you would get a temp card you can use for the rest of your trip until you get the real one?)

Doing AOW or equivalent from some agency is something you might want to consider later in your trip. If you really want some kind of PADI card too, taking PADI AOW when you get to Belize would be a way of doing it. But I don't think it's necessary to get a card from some other agency, you could also do more training in Cuba.

3 weeks in Cuba says Cuba to me. Where will you be?

check out adventure divers in peterborough ontario. adventuredivers.ca. they have an operation based in varadero and train in either acuc or sdi.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I greatly the differing perspectives and the links.

My situation has changed a bit. Due to some allergies that hit since I've arrived, I have quite a bit of congestion that I haven't yet been able to get ride of :( I went snorkeling today as a test and I can't even clear my ears. Good news is that the snorkeling was spectacular!

I did learn that I could have begun the PADI here in Jamaica and then completed it in Cuba. I think that I'll work on the materials and cross my fingers this will clear up in time for me to get ANY diving (let alone certification) done on any part of the this trip.

scubadiver888: I have actually similar concerns but they really aren't based on anything more than instinct. Oh also, I have been diving via the discover scuba program at a resort. That experience has me coming back for more :)

gcater: I won't be on the beach for 3 weeks really. I'll be splitting my time between Havana,Trinidad and perhaps Vinales but I haven't decided. How long exactly will depend on my wanderlust and probably whether diving is in the picture:)

Smiles,
B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom