Lionfish Hunter PADI certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm opposed to useless certifications. I'm not opposed to learning from those more knowledgeable. Course, or otherwise. I've attended spearfishing seminars, which has helped, but it wasn't really an official course. That said, apart from handling precautions and some reef care considerations there isn't a ton of other information that I can think of to fill a certification course. An introduction with a DM or the operator, sure.

The OP was looking for additional information from those that have done this before. I was merely offering some advice, plus my opinion.

I'll get that right out to you. Do you want a patch for your wetsuit as well? :wink:
I don't disagree, but if a person has never held a pole spear or shot a fish - or even knows how to load a pole spear (I have seen a lot of people do it wrong), then there is probably a lot of little things they don't grasp and most of which, we take for granted.

Lionfish are pretty easy to find and hit, but as mentioned, the consequences for some mistakes are severe. People that don't have good control of their body position, ability to manipulate things underwater etc. could easily fall into a fish, bump themselves or their buddy with a speared fish etc. The spines are incredibly sharp and some are over 3 inches long (and of course, are designed to place venom into the wound).

There is soooo much fear mongering about consequences of not handling a speargun properly.

Worse case scenario is a paper cut like scratch as shown here.
38452f80-cd65-11e9-ae66-3ef3dd3922f6.jpeg

I find it hilarious that so many people seem to think they can learn anything they want by reading about it, thinking about it, or watching a YouTube video. If it is so easy to get smart and to get skilled, why are so many people apparently neither? Just sayin'.

There is soooo much fear mongering about consequences of not handling a speargun properly.

Worse case scenario is a paper cut like scratch as shown here.
View attachment 746999
A speargun is a totally different animal than a dedicated lionfish tool like the ELF or a lionfish pole spear. A speargun has significantly longer range. Regardless, good weapons handling practices would have prevented this.

My question is this: should I just do their "Lionfish hunt" for $65 or spring for the more in-depth study and certification ($165)?
Is it wise to pay $100 to become certified?
I guess it depends on how much LF hunting you plan to do.
some other locations may ask for it if LF hunting (Bonaire and Florida are specifically of interest).

The answer to this can vary wildly from location to location. I live in Utila, Honduras and for example, to LEGALLY hunt lionfish here, you need the official Honduran Lionfish license, available through BICA (a government sponsored conservation program). Now, having said that, NO ONE ever checks to see if you actually have the license or not. If you look, there are literally thousands of "lionfish hunting certifications" available. I have written my own distinctive specialty for it, and there are many other instructors who have their own as well. While certain dive shops present these as necessary for hunting lionfish, very seldom do they have anything at all to do with local law or regulations. It is always a good idea to find out the LAWS governing lionfish huniting for the area you are planning to go, not just ask the local dive shop as they will always push their own instructors' programs for it. You can make up your mind whether or not the cost involved is worth it, or not. Many places, you just grab a spear and no one asks anything at all.

The answer to this can vary wildly from location to location. I live in Utila, Honduras and for example, to LEGALLY hunt lionfish here, you need the official Honduran Lionfish license, available through BICA (a government sponsored conservation program). Now, having said that, NO ONE ever checks to see if you actually have the license or not. If you look, there are literally thousands of "lionfish hunting certifications" available. I have written my own distinctive specialty for it, and there are many other instructors who have their own as well. While certain dive shops present these as necessary for hunting lionfish, very seldom do they have anything at all to do with local law or regulations. It is always a good idea to find out the LAWS governing lionfish huniting for the area you are planning to go, not just ask the local dive shop as they will always push their own instructors' programs for it. You can make up your mind whether or not the cost involved is worth it, or not. Many places, you just grab a spear and no one asks anything at all.
I do NOT want to be a dive boat or in a dive group with some untrained coyboy with a spear.

Back
Top Bottom