Lionfish Hunter PADI certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.. during a generic dive.
@Pipehorse was 100% correct that different boats have different "policies". And like he said ask ALOT of questions before booking. Some boats only allow spears on board on certain days. An example is if they have a large group of BOW check out divers on a Sunday morning, they don't want to freak them out.

And also ask them "where they are going". If they are headed to the main reef in Jupiter, or most of the wreck sites, I can almost guarantee you won't find a single LF, because it's been wiped clean since they are so actively visited.

Some boats only allow spears on board on certain days.
In Bonaire, NO spears are allowed, period, per their Constitution. The only legal device for Lionfish is the ELF, cleverly called a Tool, not a spear.

In Bonaire, NO spears are allowed, period, per their Constitution. The only legal device for Lionfish is the ELF, cleverly called a Tool, not a spear.
"Eradicate Lionfish Tool" LOL, that's a pretty badass name.

I have a vivid memory of being on a dive boat as it approached the dock on its return, with one of the divers ready to get off as soon as possible. He was a veteran lionfish hunter, and he could not wait to get to the hospital, his left hand swollen and his face contorted with pain.

That image keeps me thinking I would like some good tutoring before I become a lionfish hunter.

A couple years ago I enjoyed 3 weeks of diving in Palau, where lionfish are a normal part of the ecology. In those 3 weeks, we saw exactly 2 lionfish, both small juveniles, both well hidden in recesses in the coral.

Everyone wonders what keeps them in balance in the Pacific, and I don't claim to know. The only thing I noticed about Palau is that grouper are protected, and we saw countless big ones in those weeks. On one dive I bet I saw 40 in the 3-4 foot range.

I just want to know where I can get some of these lionfish filets up in the PNW... would be nice to know what the attraction is and if it's worth the effort when I visit FL

I just want to know where I can get some of these lionfish filets up in the PNW... would be nice to know what the attraction is and if it's worth the effort when I visit FL
I'm a part time commercial harvester. One of the fish houses that purchases our LF catch is Cod & Capers in North Palm Bch/West Palm. They have both a retail front and a wholesale business with a fleet of trucks. They make shipments packed in dry ice every day to all over the USA. If you have a special dinner {BD/Anniv/Holiday} coming up and you want to really impress your guest's ,,,,give them a call and they will make up a Florida seafood air shipment for you including lionfish and other delites

Why are you so opposed to having someone learn these things in a course?
I'm opposed to useless certifications. I'm not opposed to learning from those more knowledgeable. Course, or otherwise. I've attended spearfishing seminars, which has helped, but it wasn't really an official course. That said, apart from handling precautions and some reef care considerations there isn't a ton of other information that I can think of to fill a certification course. An introduction with a DM or the operator, sure.

The OP was looking for additional information from those that have done this before. I was merely offering some advice, plus my opinion.
Now that I know this, where's my card? :stirpot:
I'll get that right out to you. Do you want a patch for your wetsuit as well? :wink:

I'll get that right out to you. Do you want a patch for your wetsuit as well? :wink:

If you give him a wetsuit patch nobody would see it... silly dry diver doesn't even get wet anymore

I'll get that right out to you. Do you want a patch for your drytsuit as well? :wink:
Yes please! In fact, can you send it soon? Plan on having a new drysuit made for me, and I'd like to send it to the manufacturer to put sew on. Please make it large so I can put it in a prominent place for all people to see!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom