Certified! Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

molina67

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay so my wife and I were certified on the 31st of July and I want to get back underwater so my wife doesn't loose her nerve. It doesn't help that it's shark week... We are taking the Nitrox course this weekend but that doesn't involve diving. I definately want to do the peak performance buoyancy course. She did this for me and wants to do something to feel more comfortable under water, but I don't know what or where to take her.

So where or who does a newly certified person turn to to gain more diving experience? It can't be that hard, there are dive shops all around me here in Southeast GA. I'm willing to go as far as Tampa Fl. I read all over to take the advance course, but she is not ready to go deeper. As she put it, we know enough about diving to get ourselves killed. So Now What?

Do not take the advanced course yet. You are certified, go rent some gear and go dive. Find a lake, quarry or other body of water with conditions similar to what you trained in, plan a dive, and do it. You should have no problem doing this. If you do go back to the shop that trained you and ask for your money back because you did not get the training you paid for. That is the goal of the OW class. At the end of that class you and your buddy (wife) should have the knowledge and skills to plan, carry out, and safely return from a dive without assistance from a dive pro. As long as it's in conditions similar to or better than that in which you were trained. That includes the place you did your OW dives. Go back there and just do a nice easy fun dive. Work on the skills that you just learned. When you have those down you can think about more classes. And AOW is not just about going deep.

First of all, welcome to ScubaBoard! You have found the right place to start your search.

Now, let's get you to the right place. If you scroll down, you will find regional travels and dive clubs. Visit the one for he south eastern United States and introduce yourself there. You will find people who can give you some local ideas.

I would then scout around local shops and find one that you really feel comfortable with. Perhaps it is the one that gave you your certification. Local shops in areas (like yours) that are not far from good local diving usually have lots of things gong on, and they can hook you up with dives that are at the appropriate level for your level of experience.

If possible, try to hook up with some local divers who are more experienced and are willing to take you along and show you the ropes. There is a danger in that advice, though. Just as there are experienced drivers you would not want teaching your children, there are experienced divers who follow unsafe practices (and brag about them) as well. Look for red flags, such as telling you to ignore what you were taught in your classes.

I live in Atlanta - and I love the upper Keys. Specifically, I would suggest Conch Republic just south of Key Largo. Tell them that you are newly certified and let them take you on some shallow dives for experience. There are some really terrific dives in the 25-30 ft range with so much coral and fish - beautiful. You will both be totally hooked and you will gain some great experience and confidence. There are plenty of places to stay in the area that are very reasonably priced - Brenda at CR can help you find someplace nearby that won't break the bank.

The water is warm and clear and you won't be disappointed. It's worth the extra time it takes to get there.

My 2 psi.

molina67,

Just go diving... Pond, lake beach, any convenient place that's in your comfort zone. Take it conservative and hone the skills you have been taught. After a few dozen dives when things are becoming second nature consider AOW to broaden your horizons a bit.

If you can link up with a club or mentor that adds to it all but you have a buddy, just go diving.

Pete

Try and find a local dive group. You can check the web or through the shop where you did your training. There are many experienced divers who would be willing to dive with a new diver. We were all new divers at some point. Welcome to the underwater world.

Go diving. One of the thing the two will have to do is to build confidence and experience. It is not by always diving under the careful eyes of an instructor or DM that you will develop confidence. In fact doing so will lead you to ...dependancy. So find nearby places that are well within your qualification, go dive, learn to dive together, practice the skills you have learned and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom