CESA from 40ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't say how old your daughter is, but if you are worried about her ability to do this, you might even think about investing in one of the wireless transmitter computers that allow you to monitor her gas. Another strategy is to ASK her at regular intervals what her pressure is, so that both of you are thinking about it

I really like that idea. DumpsterDiver I know where you're coming from, but my daughter is 11 and let's face it ... kids have a difficult time focusing as it is, so when there's a million things to look at and do underwater, checking gauges may take a back seat. I got to say, she did incredibly well during the confined dives. She completed all the emergency/safety exercises without any problems - including mask removal and clearing, sharing the octo, etc. She's probably better at some of these skills than I am! But I have to be sure she can deal with an emergency by herself, even if that emergency will probably never happen. She will never dive alone, period. But even so, something may happen that takes me out, and creates an emergency for her. I know - PARANOID! - but after reading through some of the incidents in the "Accidents" forum I can't help but be worried.

Again, thanks for all the advice everybody. I'm sure that once we get to the open water dives, my fears will ease as a lot of it is due to not having actually gone to 40 feet.

There is risk in any emergency ascent. It is not the preferred method, and is needed only when you have an out of air emergency and no alternate source around. Since your daughter will always dive with a buddy, and since you are limiting your depth to 40 feet for the present, an out of air emergency is unlikely. Even a malfunctioning regular emergency will be manageable through use of the buddy's alternate air source.
If needed, a CESA from 40 feet can be sone safely. Remember to constantly exhale, remember to ascend at no more than 60' per minute (30' being preferable), or at least slower than your bubbles are ascending, and not to panic. I would also say that you should NOT practices CESA's. They are a last resort emergency measure. Rather, focus on safe diving practices, including staying very close to your buddy, communicating underwater through signs or slates, good buoyancy, checking your gauges regularly and often, and you will relax and enjoy diving!
DivemasterDennis

But let's remeber the difference between an emergency buoyant ascent and a controlled emergency safe ascent. In the CESA, we are neutrally buoyant, controlling our rate of ascent, while contiunously exhaling. An emergency buoyant ascent- never a good idea unless you have absolutely NO alternative, is a whole different animal. A CESA properly done can be safe from 40' or more, but again is an emergency measure. Stay close to your buddy, monitor your air supply, and relax.
DivemasterDennis

I think Rick's comment is a little too simplistic. You are not necessariy done diving, or in need of a chamber. It will depend on the depth of your dive, how many hours you have been in the water that day, and in recent days, and of course symptoms after ascent. Also, if there was an equipment issue, it needs to be resolved before diving again. I would also want to know the reason for the CESA being needed. After ascent, the diver should rest quietly and self monitor and have somone else monitor their condition. If you feel any DCI symptoms or other obvious symptoms, seek appropriate medical care. You will likely be ok, but analyze what happened and why, evaluate the overall dive profile (ie, should there have been a safety stop you were unable to make given depth and time in the water) and then act in a prudent ( and cautious) way.
DIvemasterDennis

Thanks everybody for your comments. I think my nerves will probably settle once we've done a few dives to 40 ft and practiced these procedures. I'm probably a little too paranoid ... the result of spending too much time in the "Accidents" forum, no doubt!

I think something that can help your confidence is to train makeing free dives to 40 feel. I like to use the you can easily do a CESA from twice the depth you can free dive rule. Of course this doesn't eliminate the need to do CESA properly but it does build the confidence that you can survive going 40 feet deep and back to the surface without air.
Free diving ability is sorely missing in today,s divers

The problem with a real world CESA is BAM it is upon us. Panic is the real issue, not depth. Having had to do one for real from 60 ft I know this to be true. It was at the beginning of a dive, I was separated from my three person buddy team, because I told them I would meet them on the bottom as I messed with my camera on the boat. Equipment failed and here we are. The thing that saved me was my years of Cave Diving training. My buddy and I would do safety drills one weekend a month so training kicked in AFTER a moment of shear terror and panic. Control the panic and the situation is controlled. Andy makes a real good point, getting to the surface is only half of the eqaution. In a good buddy team, with good planning this situation should never arise. Learn from others mistakes. I now leave the camera behind if I am having issues with it and never leave the surface without my buddy right next to me.

I really like that idea. DumpsterDiver I know where you're coming from, but my daughter is 11 and let's face it ... kids have a difficult time focusing as it is, so when there's a million things to look at and do underwater, checking gauges may take a back seat.

I would say, if that's the case you should reconsider letting her dive at all. This should be ingrained in her mind from the beginning. Looking at pretty things is generally why we're all doing this. Kids are completely capable of checking gauges just as regularly as the most paranoid adult but they just need to be taught that they're supposed to check regularly. If you check yours and show her, she will likely automatically check hers at the same time. I agree with DD, there's no need for electronic gadgets when this is really a training issue.

In the case of an emergency, she should be ascending immediately and should know how much gas she has, with or without you.

. . .You don't say how old your daughter is, but if you are worried about her ability to do this. . .

If she isn't mature enough to monitor her own gas, she isn't mature enough to be diving yet.

...my daughter is 11...
From what you write it sounds like you're diving alone with your daughter. I'm reposting what I posted before because it is important:

Quote: Originally Posted by Rick Murchison
... if you want to dive with youngsters, there is a basic philosophy that should be followed when dealing with children that goes something like this:
You are the adult and the child is a child. A child is *not* a dive buddy, a child is a child.
Some children can learn to dive safely with proper supervision, but a child doesn't have the under-pressure decision-making capacity, to say nothing of physical strength (usually) to handle an adult with an emergency, especially if there's a modicum of "adult panic" thrown into the problem. (yes, there are many adults who're not competent buddies either, but that's another discussion entirely)
If you want a buddy, you must take someone with you to be that buddy in addition to the child.
If you take a child by yourself, you are not only diving solo with an extra burden of responsibility (the child), you are also, because the child cannot be a buddy, saddling that child with a burden he/she cannot bear. This is a bad idea. Don't do it.
If your child's other parent isn't a competent dive buddy and you don't have a trusted dive buddy willing and able to assume the extra responsibility of having your child along, hire a pro to go with you.
I don't say "don't let X yr old children dive," but I do say "don't take a child diving without a competent, enthusiastic buddy." And with very tight limits on depth, time, current, min vis, temp, etc., etc.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom