Changes at Tres Pelicanos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jorge and Edgar are both excellent DMs. We dove with both of them at Blue Angel and then at 3P’s. With that said, Jose is also an excellent DM and has a great eye for macro. We first met Jose at Blue Angel also. And Chan Fran is one of my all time favorite captains. He does his job well, always there to assist the divers and hands out water (pre-covid days) almost as soon as you could get out of your gear.

With Pony running the shop, Jeanie doing the booking, Jose as one of the DMs, Chan Fran as a captain, and Steve continuing to run a shop with great customer service I don’t think the shop has anything to worry. They will survive.

Employees come and employees go. The tone of the business is set by the management. Best of luck to Jorge and others. Steve should have good shopping right now for quality people. We have a trip set up in February.
I don't have experience in the dive industry or employing people in Mexico but I bet it is harder than you think to get good employees. Not only do they need to be good at their job, they need to be dependable and honest.

And Chan Fran is one of my all time favorite captains.

Chan Fran is the BEST CAPTAIN I've ever been on a boat with in Coz. I call him "Eagle Eyes". He can spot a diver so far away that I don't even know what he is looking at when he's pointing to this and that. As far as drop points are concerned, I don't know how he does it without a GPS. Always on point but that's what these captains do and are capable of... true professionals who know that lengthy stretch of reef like we know our own little back yards.

I remember a story here where a SB member diving with 3P's lost an expensive camera rig at the boat while boarding it. Chan Fran and the DM at the time decided they could find it the next day and they did. They went to the area where they thought it was lost and the DM went down and found it resting on the bottom at about 120' or so in about 10 minutes. I mean, that is incredible.

I don't have experience in the dive industry or employing people in Mexico but I bet it is harder than you think to get good employees. Not only do they need to be good at their job, they need to be dependable and honest.

A world wide challenge since the beginning of time for business owners.

Having been the diver who lost the camera the recovery was a bit of a miracle considering the current & that my camera is set to sink slowly rather than float away on the surface. In actual fact Chan Fran memorized the location based on what the bottom looked like (as I understand it) but Steve sent Julio to try to find it & he did. Pretty amazing service.
As for Jorge I followed him from BA to 3P's when he moved & If I get back to Cozumel & can still dive (my age is getting up there) I'll just keep doing what I've been doing for the last 5 or 6 years & dive with 2 or 3 Ops to stay in touch with the great people I like spending a day or more diving with. Steve runs a great shop, & is very personable to boot. I enjoy spending time with him as much as with the others on the boat which is another reason I like 3P's. I'm usually on the island at the same time every year & almost every trip there are divers on Steve's boat I've dove with on previous trips.
As for Jorge starting his own business I wish him luck & based on his perseverance as an Ironman Competitor he's no quitter. I suspect he's put a lot of thought into what he hopes to do in the near & far future & as said there is a time to cut back on being the DM in the water 6 days a week year after year.

It seems like a really odd time to be starting off on a new business venture.
It does, but then there may be a lot of fire sales. Start-up costs could be the lowest in years. It may not be a good idea still, but it could be tempting.

Steve should have good shopping right now for quality people.
I'd think so with so many out of work.

Well for those interested Jorge has his new web page up & it introduces the team he's working with. Our Team

I'm impressed. Website looks good. What I don't like is this (although this policy is utilized by many).

" What happens if I get sick and I can’t dive? You will get full refund if you notify us the day before your scheduled dives and provide a doctor’s certificate stating that you are ill and should not dive. If you are not feeling well and need to see a doctor we recommend you visit Cozumel International Hospital- SSS Chamber Network, which is conveniently located right downtown."

Being someone who eats everything and anything everywhere I go (usually outside the tourist zones) I've had my share of stomach bugs over the years... Get that rumble in the gut, not feeling well, start taking the pink pills and antacids, they don't help and when you stop trying to fight it you start heaving to make yourself feel better followed by sweats, chills more heaving and that crawling feeling and fatigue that lasts a day and then passes as fast as it came on. No need to leave my bed sick and sweating to walk in the tropic heat to see a Dr. to get a note to know what is wrong with me. Furthermore, if it came from my prior dinner I'll start feeling it sometime in the early morning and by then the window has closed to cancel and get a refund. Some may try to dive sick but I've never vomited under water and have no interest in doing so. I got stung by this policy at a dive op in Hawaii earlier this year (where diving is a lot more expensive than Mexico). I wasn't happy. Get sick, can't dive, the dive shop should refund you no questions asked except, "Can we book you an extra day?". Sure, there will be a few who who get boozed up and are hung over sick and can't dive but I think they are in the vast minority as most know if you do that you've flushed a valuable vacation and dive day down the toilet with your vomit.

3P's has never charged me for a dive I couldn't make due to a stomach bug even if it was when my wife showed up at the shop that morning to go diving without me and notified them I was back at our accommodations in bed sick. Luckily this isn't a regular occurrence but it happens and I'm pretty sure most everyone here has experienced stomach bugs. Not getting a refund for the dives you miss adds insult to injury.

Well for those interested Jorge has his new web page up & it introduces the team he's working with. Our Team

Well one thing about starting a new business venture is that it can take a lot of groundwork. That can be hard to do when you are working 6 or more long days per week. One thing the covid shutdown has provided people is personal time. Time to create a business, build things, learn things, and get around to all those "one of these days" tasks.

Back
Top Bottom