Changes I don't like

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
I just tried to use the search feature to help out a new diver with a question...

I just discovered two things I hate about the "new" Scubaboard...#1 - Can't search backwards to every previous post...I searched all Cave Divers posts and they only went back 250 posts (mid-August) but I know it was from prior to that. #2 - Advanced search is 4 letters minimum...so "What is DIR" or anything with "DIR" won't search...aaarrrrgggh!...nor will any other three letter widely used acronym...OOA, BP/W, etc.

What gives?

Yes - and the wildcard * feature won't work with two of them - for example, if you have an M1 computer and can't get the interface to work, you need to do a search on Mares interface, not M1 interface, because no combination of *'s and M1 will work.

Tech Admin is aware of the search function's shortfalls. He's been on a badly needed vacation but will be looking into the nuts and bolts of everything soon.

This too shall pass!

Dee:
Tech Admin is aware of the search function's shortfalls. He's been on a badly needed vacation but will be looking into the nuts and bolts of everything soon.

This too shall pass!
a new feature of vbulletin:

"If there are special words that are important for your board but are outside the word length limits you specified above, you may enter them here so that they will be included in the search index.

For example, a web-programming board with a minimum word length of 4 characters might want to include 'PHP' in the search index, even though the word is only 3 characters long."

This is located in "Message Searching Options"

bwerb:
#2 - Advanced search is 4 letters minimum...so "What is DIR" or anything with "DIR" won't search...aaarrrrgggh!...nor will any other three letter widely used acronym...OOA, BP/W, etc.

Indexing down to 3 letters would be an insanely large index... I seem to remember Tech Admin stating that it took something like 14 hours to do the indexing.

I added a few of the popular TLAs, but I didn't ask Tech Admin to re-index it yet. I'm pretty sure I added DIR as one of them. I don't recall which ones I put.

Spectre, Rax,

And why should anyone listen to you guys? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom