Changing Covid testing requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why has omicron peaked, subsided, and almost gone away in many places?

Being bored and having a rather large 3rd beer in my hand I'll guess:wink:.

From what I have read in the past.... mutations can happen in both the non-vaccinated and in the vaccinated directly due to less than adequate vaccinations. Though of course mutating does not always mean for the worse.

As far as why omicron is on its way down, I'd say because:

1) viruses tend to get weaker the longer that they are around
2) omicron spreads quickly and easily and as such has effectively vaccinated more people that would have never received the shot.

Soon it will be like a regular cold and as I said earlier, we will have it around for the long haul.

Anyhow, Im glad to hear that new masking regs are coming out soon and maybe we won't have to get tests on future trips back to the states.

If you two guys pushing this theory are correct, then why has omicron peaked, subsided, and almost gone away in many places?
Because it went through a lot of the susceptible population at a rapid pace. Still about 76k new cases in the US every day so it isn't quite done.

Nope. Incorrect. The ones that manage to survive replicate.

When your first assumption is so obviously ignorant, the rest that follows is utter bollocks too.
Say it like you want to. The ones that get to other people are survivors of the vaccine in the last person.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A friendly reminder about civility in discussion: it is fine to hold strong opinions, and express them. If a poster says something that you believe is factually wrong, the best response is to address the factual flaw that you believe exists, on the basis of data not emotion, rather than expressing YOUR subjective opinion of the intelligence of the poster.

One fascinating aspect of our instant and extensive media world is that it creates a large number of armchair experts - armchair epidemiologists, for example, in the case of COVID. I am one now as well, since I retired from being a real one. Perhaps, the best thing to keep in mind is that what we DO NOT know about COVID is probably far more extensive than what we do know, and new data are regularly becoming available. What I thought I knew about COVID a year ago has changed. What I think I know about about COVID now will probably evolve over the next year.

So, express your opinion - discussion is what social media is all about. Try to express the factual basis for that opinion where possible. Feel free to say, 'I disagree, because . . . '. And, do so in a civil manner. If someone disgarees with you, then respond with fact not feeling.

You make a great point.
For me, it becomes a nightmare scenario. For this reason, I will not travel outside the US until guidance is changed or the pandemic becomes endemic. I am not happy about my position but I have little choice.
Nailed it. It’s easy enough, though anxiety provoking, to know the CDC rules and airline requirements (the onus to act is on them). But dealing with a + result in a foreign land, having to quarantine, change travel arrangements, etc. is a tall order. Just came back from the Canary Islands (Spanish) and had to add a day to do testing in downtown Madrid for the Ag test. Worked out ok but would’ve been royally screwed if that came back +. Nobody ever plans on getting sick.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A friendly reminder about civility in discussion: it is fine to hold strong opinions, and express them. If a poster says something that you believe is factually wrong, the best response is to address the factual flaw that you believe exists, on the basis of data not emotion, rather than expressing YOUR subjective opinion of the intelligence of the poster.

One fascinating aspect of our instant and extensive media world is that it creates a large number of armchair experts - armchair epidemiologists, for example, in the case of COVID. I am one now as well, since I retired from being a real one. Perhaps, the best thing to keep in mind is that what we DO NOT know about COVID is probably far more extensive than what we do know, and new data are regularly becoming available. What I thought I knew about COVID a year ago has changed. What I think I know about about COVID now will probably evolve over the next year.

So, express your opinion - discussion is what social media is all about. Try to express the factual basis for that opinion where possible. Feel free to say, 'I disagree, because . . . '. And, do so in a civil manner. If someone disgarees with you, then respond with fact not feeling.

Agreed. But why this discussion is in the Cozumel subforum baffles me.

Back to testing in Cozumel, whats the current rate at the International Hospital for a rapid Antigen test?
Since testing requirements for travel began IH seems to be the island's benchmark for rapid testing with in town pharmacies down to -30% and in home testing upto +30%.

The only thing being vaccinated and boostered is doing it causing the virus to mutate faster.
Sorry, but that is just incorrect. Vaccination reduces the opportunity for the virus to mutate; it doesn't increase it. The more people who have it the more walking petri dishes there are.

It’s not actually….that’s literally how viruses work. They mutate…but ok.
<previous comment removed>

Please show me a statement by any reputable epidemiologist that says that vaccination of a population causes mutations in a virus. I'll hang up and listen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom