Changing film between dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dustin, my personal litmus test is whether or not there's a camera table.

Without one, the boat is usually just too crowded, or there's not enough workspace, or any of a variety of reasons why not to open up the delicate insides of a housing.

If I'm diving on a boat without a camera table, I'll carry the housing/strobe assembly in a tupperware with foam in the bottom. This lets it slide under the bench with good protection. I'll just set the motordrive to stop at 35 frames, so I don't have to worry about it straining at the end of the roll. The housing only gets one dive.

If there is a table, I do all the excellent suggestions above, especially one towel for me and one for the housing. One drop of sea water on the shutter curtain is bad news, and the most likely source is me.

I have a little mini-pelican case that is stocked with tools, o-ring grease, lintless foam q-tips, etc, that makes opening the housing convenient.

Also, the guy who works on my housings passed on that using compressed air to dry housings can result in displaced o-rings, if the air source exceeds 30 psi.

All the best, James

Also, the guy who works on my housings passed on that using compressed air to dry housings can result in displaced o-rings, if the air source exceeds 30 psi.

All the best, James[/QUOTE]

I was also told that using compressed air could force water into the housing.

Abril:
Ive heard to take your regulator and blow off the housing to help dry it to help avoid drips. I never seem to be able to keep a towl dry long after the boat leaves the dock.

Do you have a slide scanner, Im interested to see how the colors are on slides vs digital. My dad shoots slides on land and it beats anything I can do digital....without altering it anyway!

A couple of slide shots to let you see. No manipulation just scan and sized.
Equipment. Nikonos v 20mm lens Sea&Sea YS60 and YS30 strobes, 1/60th at F8 on Velvia 50 asa film.

David

Abril:
Ive heard to take your regulator and blow off the housing to help dry it to help avoid drips. I never seem to be able to keep a towl dry long after the boat leaves the dock.

Do you have a slide scanner, Im interested to see how the colors are on slides vs digital. My dad shoots slides on land and it beats anything I can do digital....without altering it anyway!

see the link in my sig, all of the u/w shots are scanned off a nikon ls-40 (coolscan iv) using silverfast software.

Art

Used Nikonos cameras are so cheap nowadays. Why not have extra cameras and just switch out the strobe?

-Bob

ScubaBOBuba:
Used Nikonos cameras are so cheap nowadays. Why not have extra cameras and just switch out the strobe?

-Bob

I used the Nikonos V now I have just got a Cannon Rebel in a housing so my wife (non photographer) is going to use the Nik in macro and me with the Cannon in wide. There is more than one way to skin a cat :wink: . Guess how long I had to be good to talk the wife into this.

I agree on not blowing the camera off with regs OR the airhose at the camera table either. A friend of mine picked up the air hose to blow off his camera and the darn thing had some trapped water in it from sitting on the wet table.....he blew water in his housing and wasn't at all happy.

Go to this site for some great U/W tips and handling of Nikonos cameras. www.southern-nikonos.com

I've got a second hand Nikonos and love it. I'm a sworn believer in slide film as well.

Diver Lori:
I agree on not blowing the camera off with regs OR the airhose at the camera table either. A friend of mine picked up the air hose to blow off his camera and the darn thing had some trapped water in it from sitting on the wet table.....he blew water in his housing and wasn't at all happy.

Go to this site for some great U/W tips and handling of Nikonos cameras. www.southern-nikonos.com

I've got a second hand Nikonos and love it. I'm a sworn believer in slide film as well.

Thanks for the information, Ill check it out.

-Dustin

All of the photos in my gallery are from scanned with an epson perfection 4870 scanner. I love it! I agree with not using compressed air to 'blow off' your housing, can create many more problems than it solves.

Be careful!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom