Changing log books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space once bubbled...
just wondering if I change log books do I need to transfer the information to the new one. The log book I have sucks so I want to buy a new one and transfer the info. But all my dives (6) have sig's from instructor and buddy. Do you guys have buddies sign your book?

IMHO, your log book is principally a handy personal reference to record the number of dives, max depth, total time, and detailed comments about your impressions. I use my dive log primarily to refresh my memory about the sites I've dived and what I've seen when writing a brief review for my club newsletter or to pass information to friends.

Other than that use, I've dived all over the world and the only requested pieces of information in my dive logs are the total number of dives I've done and the number of months since my most recent dive. In short, nearly all the dive operators I've encountered care about are (1) are you certified and (2) about how experienced are you so they can guess how closely they have to watch you on your first dive with them. There are dive operators who don't even care whether you're certified or not - the good ones give you an "entrance exam" instead of asking for a C-card.

donacheson once bubbled...

IMHO, your log book is principally a handy personal reference to record the number of dives, max depth, total time, and detailed comments about your impressions. I use my dive log primarily to refresh my memory about the sites I've dived and what I've seen when writing a brief review for my club newsletter or to pass information to friends.

Other than that use, I've dived all over the world and the only requested pieces of information in my dive logs are the total number of dives I've done and the number of months since my most recent dive. In short, nearly all the dive operators I've encountered care about are (1) are you certified and (2) about how experienced are you so they can guess how closely they have to watch you on your first dive with them. There are dive operators who don't even care whether you're certified or not - the good ones give you an "entrance exam" instead of asking for a C-card.

Well said.

Like some of the others I use a binder with loose pages. I like it for several reasons
1, you can keep a nice binder for your current log book [last 50 or so dives]then put your old pages in a cheap notebook on the shelf.
2, you can put in or take out things you dont need .I got some business card pages from office depot to hold all my c-cards
3, if a buddy forgets their log book you can just give them a loose page to write in and then they can stick it in their log when they get home.
I prefer the loose pages in a binder but the important thing is to keep a log It seems I am always looking back at something I had a question about .where I lost that knife .where the big fish was see if he is still there.how much weight I used.
Joens

Sounds like I don't need one to show proof of my diving skills but I will continue to keep one for information on dives and just a look back at the experience. So far mine sounds like a short story with all the detail I wrote down. Its also interesting to she how much wait i've dropped since my first dive. Almost 8# in six dives although more needs to come off. Thanks everyone.

Blue Space once bubbled...
Its also interesting to she how much wait i've dropped since my first dive. Almost 8# in six dives although more needs to come off. Thanks everyone.

A good move in the right direction!

I've kept logbooks for years, but really only for myself. I've
never been asked to show one. As for changing the book, I started with one set of fins, and now am on my third pair, I'm using my fourth wetsuit in 10 years, my third mask, numerous, gloves, second computer, second bc, and why? Because I grew into the sport. When something was better for me, (logbook included) I upgraded. Now I keep two log books, one I carry with me, the second is downloaded from my computer to my PC and then printed out. I like the graphs, and detail tissue loading info. So change if it makes it better, or for the fun of it.

I treat it like a diary.

I made a customized table in MS Word and track the dive number, diver partner, location, depth/BT, weather cond, exposure suit, weight, mix, and any relevant comments (marine life, wreck, skill work, etc.)

I used to print a copy, put it in a ziplock bag and take it with me on charters...but in 25+ liveaboards/day trips, no one has ever asked to see it...

Signatures...no.

Most of the dive charter boats hear in NC will requir a Advance open water card at minium , if not then look at your log book to check your experence , other than that I have three logs books and some time have my partner sign most of the time , I just print out from my computer and edit my log book ect

Back
Top Bottom