Charter Associations - Watchdog or Price fixer?

Charter Associations- Watchdog or Price fixer?

• Watchdog

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Price fixer

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • No opinion

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SneakyB'tard

Contributor
Reaction score
"What Charter Associations?
Any associations that claim to represent the dive charter boats with few exceptions are invariably made up of dive boat owners."

I got this reply in another thread and was very interested in the diving population's opinion of Charter Associations(CA).

I was hoping that CA would assist in the safety of divers they serve by insisting that all charter members are certified in the safety compliances required by whatever governing body they fall in the jurisdiction of.

From what I have heard, they do not insist of such documents or compliances in order to obtain membership..from this I ask the question....Watchdog or Price fixer?

Opinions???

I suppose it's only right that I vote first.

I see our votes cancel each other.
However, when I voted that they are a watchdog, realize that I think that's their honest intention and that they try to meet that obligation. It's just that they are most certainly influenced by their own interests first. That is, they will try to govern the actions of the members to ensure good, safe service to the diving community PROVIDED that action is not detrimental to their own charter business.

My opinion and it is worth exactly what it cost me to post it!
What do you think?

It would be very useful to hear from some charter operators so we should send this to any we know.

They are in business to make money. If they seem not to be safe then they wont get return customers.

The motivating factor for an association to form would clearly be financial. ie group advertising is much more affordable.

Bubble Boy nailed it right on the head.

Most association fornm to act as a "marketing partnership". You have the advantage of reaching the most number of people at a much more affordable price than if you tried to market a single operation to the same amount of people

But I went with price fixer :eek:
I may catch some flack for that opinion.
But with that said, it helps to keep the price down for the customer's.
My opinion is that the price should be a lot higher.
Here for a 2 tank dive: $60 Cdn. about $40 US. I would go to $75 Cdn $50 US Which is still cheap if you compare to prices in the US.
The cheapest I found when I was down this winter was $60 US which is $91 Cdn
But if I went higher people would try to get the best deal.
You would not believe the number of times I have had people tell me "{unnamed charter} will take us out for $55 and I have 10 people". I tell them, "enjoy you dives with {unnamed charter} I won't go less than $60".
But all I tell people is check out their credentials first, that's your best bet. and if you get a deal, go for it. Chances are they won't be in business next year.

So..... Price fixer is a good thing for the divers. Don't knock it!

well, I would have to say that charter associations are like most business associations.

yes, they do work to protect the profitability of the business, but at the same time they are an excellent tool for the consumer to help weed out shady or downright unsafe/dishonest business owners.

I have yet to see a business association come down on a small business owner for exessively low prices. The manufacturers of products have done this, but not any retail associations that I have been involved with.

Hey Dude... (I just like the sound of that!)..

I think you may be looking at the Association wrong. They won't keep the prices down!
Whenever a group of businessmen get together one of the first topics is agreeing to keep the prices up. Generally they agree to NOT compete with each other. It's usually the loner who starts a price war.

divedude once bubbled...
But I went with price fixer :eek:
You would not believe the number of times I have had people tell me "{unnamed charter} will take us out for $55 and I have 10 people". I tell them, "enjoy you dives with {unnamed charter} I won't go less than $60".
But all I tell people is check out their credentials first, that's your best bet. and if you get a deal, go for it. Chances are they won't be in business next year.

I guess you get what you pay for.. When I go looking for a charter operator I look at qualifications and dive boats first.. money second.. I'd rather pay a premium and go out with a safe, reputable company that offers excellent service than save $5 and go with some 'no-name' brand... In the end, its like most business deals.. you build a relationship with your charter operator, and if he/she is good you come back again and again... Besides, I expect prices to go up this summer, based on recent increases in unsurance and sky rocketing gas prices..
See ya in the summer divedude.. :)

It is all about Marketing.
Sure they also work together to maintain moorings for everyone to use, split the cost on emergency training programs.

Must be a bad thing - a group of business people working together to make their life easier and let the world know they exist.

All you private divers must hate associations who work hard to maintain the buoys that you use and mark the wrecks for you. If it were not for them you would know where could dive and then you would have to pay a charter fee whether low, mid, high in price.

Safety is a concern - all boats should have at least Oxygen and a radio and be trained to use both - but diving is you, if you screw up or were to cheap to service your gear no operator can help you there and therefore safety of diving is not a primary concern as it is out of their hands and in ours.

Got to love a post like this started by a former Charter Association member.....

acoustic diver once bubbled...
It is all about Marketing.
Sure they also work together to maintain moorings for everyone to use, split the cost on emergency training programs.

All you private divers must hate associations who work hard to maintain the buoys that you use and mark the wrecks for you. If it were not for them you would know where could ....

I am all for some of the associations like POW. But if you are refering to the USLCA the facts are clear. The sites were moored long before the association existed. SOS is marking the sites as well. Most of these sites were found and marked by individuals not in the charter association or not on the executive of the association. The association could shut down tommorow and the sites would still be moored. Working together is great but lets hope they respect the Cdn and American laws while operating. Any diver can buy a zodiac and call him/herself a charter operator. For that matter you dont have to be a diver to run a dive charter business.

Back
Top Bottom