Cheap First Wrist Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about a simple bottom timer - around US140? Not a computer but will give you all the pertinent info you need, and has an ascent rate indicator. Other than that, the suunto line is great.

I think this thread has already been discussed.

I am a newbie AOW diver with only 30+ dives, mostly in quarries. Personally, I find the display on the Mosquito a little small. Nice computer though!

I have the Uwatec Pro Ultra console. My buddy has the Vyper console. I like his computer better. I got the Uwatec Pro because my instructor has it. That was before I understood that he got a substantial discount on it.

Anyone want to switch with me?

Neg for Uwatec:
Uwatec doesn't have a time clock on it, or show you the current temp. It has water activated "buttons" which aren't user friendly with gloves on. In addition, you can switch from console to wrist mounted or back with the Suunto depending on your preference. The Suunto also allows you to set max depth alarms, which the Uwatec doesn't.

Pro: According to Uwatec, the dive tables are suppose to be more sophisticated since they take in account the water temp. The colder the temp, the more conservative the computer is suppose to be. Conversely, the computer is suppose to give you more time when the water is warm, thus allowing you to dive longer. Given that my buddy and I take the more conservative reading btw the Suunto and Uwatec, this is a mute point.

Uwatec has a lifetime guarantee on the battery. Suunto allows the user to change the battery his/herself. You can use both with Nitrox.

Hantzu701

the display of the Suunto Gekko is bigger than that one of the Mosquito.

=-) =-)
mphs

hantzu701 once bubbled...
Pro: According to Uwatec, the dive tables are suppose to be more sophisticated since they take in account the water temp. The colder the temp, the more conservative the computer is suppose to be. Conversely, the computer is suppose to give you more time when the water is warm, thus allowing you to dive longer.

This is absolutely meaningless. A diver in a drysuit with a thick undergarment diving Monterey waters (50F) will be much warmer and in much better shape than a diver diving in Hawaii (75F) in a swimsuit.

Actually, I'm a little confused about that. This might have something to do b/c I'm a newbie.

I thought we were suppose to treat cold water diving as 10 ft deeper than the actual depth, so it makes sense to me that the computer should adjust to changing tempertures.

As noted, given that the Suunto and Uwatec are at the same price point, I prefer the Suunto over the Uwatec.

The Mosquito is a nice computer and it can be worn as a normal watch. Which I love. The only drawback is the strap is too short, and the expansion strap is very clumsy.

So in short, if you dive warm water without a wet suit or want it to look like a watch, the Mosquito is a nice computer. If you need one to wear with a wet suit, go with one of the others.

As to the display, it is a bit small, the protector does a nice job of magnifying. Or in my case I have bifocals in my mask.

But small size is the one really nice part of the Mosquito, you can leave it on between dives and even wear it on shore without standing out.

One suggestion with the Mosquito that seems to work really nice, I put it on my right arm, with the face on the inside of my wrist. That way I can see it while I'm ascending a rope with my right hand, and my left is then free for venting. Also works nice for out of air drills.

I hear a lot of people talking up the Suunto misquito. and really considered buying one, but when I went to the suunto website to get some detailed specs, I found it was out of production. just curious why.
SF

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom