cheap insulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Dave.... You are good in shape....

But, I don't get 200g fleece at 37F water.. I am also a hard core for the cold water, but I had to call the second dive with 300g fleece at the local quarry, 39F and 45 min bottom time... Yeah, I still had 1500 psi.....:wink:

I'm not fat, I weight 180 lbs and am in fair shape. In fact I have a Viking Comfort Artic Plus that I'm going to get rid of because it's just way too hot for me. I don't know if it's the fact that I dive a Viking suit or what but I don't get cold and I usually dive an hour.

For what it's worth, 43 degree temps are fine with me in a 7mm wetsuit as well, and I've dove it multiple times in one hour durations down to 90 feet.

I can do a 300 weight undergarment.

Here's what I own as far as undergarments go. Just so you know I'm not cheap and don't want to spend money.

Some unknown foam Viking undergarment, don't know what it is. It's foam covered with a light blue cloth.
Viking Comfort Plus
Viking Comfort ArticPlus
Andy's US 35
Winchester Fleece thermals.

hoosier:
Nah~~~~this time..

I also have Viking dry glove ring system though. This DIY works very well...:wink:

I have a Viking dry glove setup as well, wouldn't want to go back to any other glove for what it's worth.

cummings66:
I have a Viking dry glove setup as well, wouldn't want to go back to any other glove for what it's worth.

Mattew,,

As long as your rig works, it sounds good to me... There is no issue at all.. We just think it is a little bit odd..... We are talking about 200g fleece, not thinsulate stuff.

I have SW 200g, 300g, DUI 400g (sold), and Weezle Extreme plus.... I can't dive 39F water with 200g fleece alone... I dived 37F only with 300 g fleece before. I was only guy who was using fleece, others were wearing the weezle or dui thinsulate...But, I felt it was my limit for 30 min....... Maybe, you are a really hard core or cold blood guy....

Of course, Viking system works fine, but as you see, DIY ring has the less stress points (less ring and less abrasive contact)... You would know what I am talking about if you have teared your seal before.:wink:

Sadly I have put a hole in my glove before. I am considering the Viking quick detach system due to that very fact and also that my rings are large enough that putting the glove on is sometimes a 2 man job. From what I gather the glove is attached to a ring that butts up against the one on the suit and then you twist them to lock it in place. The Viking ring is rubber and by itself won't tear stuff, but your hands will tear the glove as you stretch them over it, i.e. watch your fingernails. I keep mine short but sometimes you will still get it, or your buddy will.

I will admit that I am colder in the fleece than the thinsulate undergarments, but I do not feel uncomfortable in the fleece. I like the feeling of freedom I get with the fleece that does not exist with the thinsulate and tend to prefer it. I do have a wide range of garments available to me for usage, initially based on what people suggested. The US 35 is a fleece garment that's pretty lightweight and used as a liner by many for the heavier thinsulate undergarments. I like it and thermals.

The only reason I dive dry is that the surface interval is much much more comfortable in this system than it is a wetsuit and my gear is dry almost as soon as I place it in my van. I wouldn't call myself hardcore, I do dive every weekend if I can but I don't get to dive as many times as I want because I've yet to find a buddy who is willing to dive more than once in a row during the Winter. For me I'd say I was hardcore if I got in 2 or 3 dives a trip every time. I am addicted to it however.

But to get back on topic, here's a page that will provide patterns to build your own jumpsuit. There are 2 of interest here, scroll down and you'll see them.
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/green.html they are GP 408 and GP 141 and there's plans for gaitors as well which are GP301.

I have no idea why you wouldn't want to make your own base layer. The dry suit fairies don't make these things magically appear, you know actual people with actual sewing machines made that garment you hold in the store. it's not rocket science.

You can get all the thinsulate and polartec materials you could possibly want at real fabric stores in major cities. The key to finding the fabric is to not visit yuppie fabric stores like Jo-Ann where there is fashion fabric. Hit the phone book and give a call.

Sewing, like diving has some tricks to learn, and while a jumpsuit isn't the easiest thing to make, with guidance it's not impossible.

I'm in the same boat. I drop the $$ on a drysuit and now I'm looking at shelling out more for undies. I'm currently looking at the Bare t100 from scubatoys.com and then adding extra layers of fleece over it for thoes cold dives. Being from Georgia I don't anticipate very cold water dives anytime soon and most of my dives will be on the warmer side. I actually dive a 7/5 into the mid/low 40's in the lakes.

I can see that the undies are worth it but I just don't have it to spend currently.

Tell me if I'm crazy but I'm thinking about layering with polypro, then adding fleece bottoms and top (layers if needed) with wool socks (layered) until I can get the t100 and looking at the t200 for next winter.

Let me know if this is reasonable.
Temps mid 40's currently but most of year average 60's up to 80's in summer (probably dive wet then in a 3mil)

Jeremy

I was in the same boat when I got my Mobby's Armor Shell. I get laughed at all the time, but my under garment is a 200 weight fleece jumpsuit in canary yellow. It is marketed as a women's pajama, but it's fleece all the same. I wish I could remember the brand name because it was only $60. All I had to do was sew some elastic stirrups in at the bottom to keep them from riding up. I've been in 42 degrees F and quite comfortable.

Bobby

I / we did it. Polartech is made by somebody on your coast. They have two factory outlet stores. One in Seattle, the other, in your corner. Fun to look at all of the pretty colors and patterns, anyway, my wife made me a sleevless farmer john with a longsleve pull over. For a pattern, check out some of the bib patterns for skiers. Nothing rides up. I can wear polly pro underwear when need be or leave the top off. Material is cheap, then a good zipper. Now, was it cheap ($20-25), no about $5k in sewing machines. But at least I got some use out of them.

adios don O

Bobby_M:
I was in the same boat when I got my Mobby's Armor Shell. I get laughed at all the time, but my under garment is a 200 weight fleece jumpsuit in canary yellow. It is marketed as a women's pajama, but it's fleece all the same. I wish I could remember the brand name because it was only $60. All I had to do was sew some elastic stirrups in at the bottom to keep them from riding up. I've been in 42 degrees F and quite comfortable.

Bobby

Thanks for the info. I've been looking online at some fleece top/bottom and jumpsuit but I don't think they mention the weight ie. 200, 300, 400, etc. I see them listed as stuff like Lite, Medium, Expidition weight and what not.

I'm just glad to know that when I show up to a dive site with my "un-professional" undies that there are others of us out there.

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom