Cheapest computer with liberal algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OctopusLover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a peregrine. My partner is getting into diving and doesn't own a computer yet. One of the reasons I got the peregrine is to not be the guy in the group making everyone ascend on repetitive dives, which I've seen happen a lot with Suunto people.

She doesn't care for anything fancy, but I don't want my Peregrine to be "handicapped" by her computer as we're now likely to be diving together.

So what's the cheapest Nitrox capable computer that I can buy her?

Mares Puck Pro - around 215 new online

Next best - Oceanic Veo 4 - around 300 online.

Oceanic has excellent. Customer service. Just upgraded to Pro Plis 3 from eBay. Oceanic evaluates and tests for $30 in less than a week. Also I am using my dads Oceanic Prodigy. It is the Times of computers. Still kicking and ticking from 1996. Good luck

Hi @OctopusLover

Why not get her a Peregrine?

What GFs do you run on your Peregrine? DSAT runs similarly to a GF high of 95, that would be an Oceanic Veo 4 or Geo 4, just a bit less expensive than a Peregrine.

Any of the RGBM computers, Cressi, Mares, or Suunto would likely be more conservative, especially repetitive dives

Hi @OctopusLover

Why not get her a Peregrine?

What GFs do you run on your Peregrine? DSAT runs similarly to a GF high of 95, that would be an Oceanic Veo 4 or Geo 4, just a bit less expensive than a Peregrine.
Here's somebody who claims to have a Veo 2 in stock for $220.

I used its 1-button predecessor for a decade. It worked fine and never forced me up first in a group.

Another vote for mares puc pro. I used one for years. It's exactly what you've asked for with price and I always seemed to have plenty of time left on my NDL when other people were getting close (no idea what they were running).

Another vote for mares puc pro. I used one for years. It's exactly what you've asked for
It's cheap and cheerful. But it's known to have a relatively conservative algorithm which is precisely what the OP is looking to avoid.

Oceanic computers are good when low price and less conservative are priorities, I use a Veo 2 as backup to my perigrine.
A used Veo 2 or 3 can be found for under $150 with a little patience.

How to find out if the algorithm is liberal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom