check out these triple tanks on ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo:
...But then again, these guys practically invented the sport. Maybe they know something????

No, I believe that was his daddy Jacques who practically invented the sport.

I saw at least one diver standing on the reef. Kinda cuts into their credibility when they talk up their efforts to "protect our fragile environment"

Nomad:
No, I believe that was his daddy Jacques who practically invented the sport.

I saw at least one diver standing on the reef. Kinda cuts into their credibility when they talk up their efforts to "protect our fragile environment"

Right. But if you look at the old JC movies, they have this similar 3 tank set up. I'm sure a lot of the methodology used by JMC's team is directly inherited from JC's days.

Who was implying about one tank valve and no isolator is "unsafe"???? My single tank has only one and NO isolator!!! Mike doesn't punch his oponent is KO for redundency. He might just nimble on his ear a bit :D

That was supposed to be: Mike doesn't punch is opponent AFTER... man I need some sleep.

Does it seem like a lot of the diving done on TV shows by "professional" divers demonstrates a lot of bad habits? Or is it just as divers, we pick it up? I remember one popular show where the host is talking about why he is diving a CCR and how it will give him extended dive time, then he jumps in the water with his local guide/historian who is using a single AL80 and the bottom is below 60' of crystal clear Bemuda water.

They also dove quad configurations. Instead of diving with hung tanks, they banded them. Offten the center tanks were upsidedown in the pack, and it was done for the simple reason that they needed more back gas. We dive a diferent configuration now, but THAT was pioneering our sport, and I have not a comment to make about their gear, or style of diving. Im too thankful to them to bash them for what they did to bring this to all of us. As the years have gone by I have seen some pretty odd things come and go in the diving industry, and for a long time I avoided theose "cheap looking single hose regs" I see by most of the responders here that in large, there is not a great deal of experience in the sport. But keep an open mind, things will change in your time as well. trust me, it evolves almost daily.

camshaft:
Don't see these too often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scuba-Tanks-Tri...233306330QQcategoryZ16057QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Can anyone tell me what the advantage was on these. I can't really see why guys used to dive these, other than because they look cool. I can see how they might be a little more ergonomic since they curve around you somewhat, but the added bulk and would seem to outweight that advantage. I saw the old thread about the triples, but I didn't have the time to go through all 6 pages to see if someone mentioned the advantage.

Austin

This system was designed as a lower profile unit. It had a hard case that snaps around the cylinders. Its basically a 90 cuft cylinder. If you wanted redundancy, carry a stage

Curt Bowen:
This system was designed as a lower profile unit. It had a hard case that snaps around the cylinders. Its basically a 90 cuft cylinder. If you wanted redundancy, carry a stage

A friend (and a shop owner) indicated that when they came out that was the idea, however they were, I believe he said in excess of $400 back when an 80 was less than $100.

He has a set, and indicates that they are quite comfortable as well.

They came in 2 and 3 tank versions and could be installed on any normal BC with a hardpack. (I bought a 2 tank version a couple years ago for use as deco bottles.)

The idea was not bad as my twin 2 forties weighed less than an 80 and were lower profile and better balanced (although I still broke them up for deco bottles after trying them out). Usuing doubles or triples does add 1 or 2 more neck o-rings that could potentially fail, but I have never seen a properly valved tank protrude an o-ring or develop anything other than a very minor leak in over 20 years of diving.

They were very similar to the older and slightly more complicated UDS system that was carried in a fairing. As far as I know US Divers did not make a fairing for these much later (1990's) tanks.

Back
Top Bottom