Checking baggage and locking it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always use TSA locks. Mine are Masterlocks that I purchased at Home Depot, although you can buy them at other places as well. Since I've been using them I have not had a single bag or dive locker checked by TSA. Previous to using TSA locks I used zip ties...they don't have any problem cutting those off.

noobascooba:
I heard a rumor that if you pack a firearm in your case it gets hand searched at check in then securely locked and labled up so noone gets to open it after check in. You can buy a non-deadly starter pistol and that would still count as a firearm. I've not looked into how much hassle this would be, but my boyfriend was seriously considering it because he has had stuff stolen from his luggage several times (not dive gear though)... if you are REALLY serious about your luggage being unmolested it might be worth considering :)
I like her thinking...!!

"Yes, all 28 members in our trip group have firearms in their bags.: :D

Not a good idea on international flights. :11:

DandyDon:
I like her thinking...!!

"Yes, all 28 members in our trip group have firearms in their bags.: :D

Not a good idea on international flights. :11:

Well dang Don...you ARE from Texas!!!:rofl3:

noobascuba, i have flown with firearms a couple of times. the were rifles so they were in marked gun boxes. the had me open up the case and show the ticket agent at the check in counter. i haven't ever felt more like a terrorist in my life!

after it gets the TSA checks it gets the locks back on it and it goes as normal luggage. then it comes out on the belt with everybody elses luggage. talk about a safety hazard!

this was prior to TSA locks (2 years ago) and i just gave the ticket agent one of my keys and told her to have them lock it inside when they were done investigating. when i got to my destination, wala! no KEY. glad i had a couple spares.

like said previously, i wouldn't worry to much about it getting stole.

PS don, what else do you bring with you we may need to know about? and how exactly do boats, regulators and guns go together? JK... either way it sounds fun.

ArcticDiver:
Are you in a position to make the actual arrest when you see this?

If not did you report the crime to the airport police?

If neither, did you at least report the crime to the TSA agent's supervisor?

If you did nothing; why?

Regarding thefts by luggage handlers, yes, they have been caught and charges were filed. However, our city attorney would only file misdeamenor charges if they have no criminal history, even if the value of the stolen goods placed them in a felony level. Therefore, they are out the next day working for another baggage company. (Many airlines contract out baggage operation and these companies can't share employee's record due to some privacy issue) But thefts occurr so much down in the ramps, officers are only catching less than 10% of these thieves due to lack of resources.

Thefts by TSA is harder to catch and prosecute due to their federal employee status. They get terminated but no one knows if any charges were filed. Feds aren't proud of these employees so the public rarely hears about TSA theives.

Fortunately, luggage thefts have declined since TSA took over private security companies. But for a victim who lost his/her valuable, that's one theft too many.

One important fact I would like to point out...most items stolen were electronics, such as laptops, digital cameras, iPods, jewerly, etc. I guess thieves don't scuba dive :no

I have flown with scuba gear to the Bahamas, Cozumel, Puerto Rico, and Roatan. I always just pack my gear in a regular rolling suitcase sealed with zip ties. My reg, my dive computer, and my laptop get carried on with me. I have not yet, knock on wood, had a problem.

SunScuba:
Regarding thefts by luggage handlers, yes, they have been caught and charges were filed. However, our city attorney would only file misdeamenor charges if they have no criminal history, even if the value of the stolen goods placed them in a felony level. Therefore, they are out the next day working for another baggage company. (Many airlines contract out baggage operation and these companies can't share employee's record due to some privacy issue) But thefts occurr so much down in the ramps, officers are only catching less than 10% of these thieves due to lack of resources.

Thefts by TSA is harder to catch and prosecute due to their federal employee status. They get terminated but no one knows if any charges were filed. Feds aren't proud of these employees so the public rarely hears about TSA theives.

Fortunately, luggage thefts have declined since TSA took over private security companies. But for a victim who lost his/her valuable, that's one theft too many.

One important fact I would like to point out...most items stolen were electronics, such as laptops, digital cameras, iPods, jewerly, etc. I guess thieves don't scuba dive :no

Thanks for your help in combating this age-old problem. We have always had thieves. It is too bad TSA contractor personnel checks are so poor they don't catch these folks and at least deny them unemployment.

If TSA isn't able to detect and prosecute crimes by their own emplolyees and by their contractors it makes a mockery of their other "security" efforts. After all, if you can't even be sure your own work force is of good character..... Maybe that will be the next attack avenue; a TSA employee.

On a separate subject that you mentioned: It does surprise me that since magnetic imaging technology is used in several screening devices (or so I've been told) that anyone would put something like a computer, or iPod with their hard discs and magnetic memory in checked luggage.

The biggest risks are at the arrival airport, if you're not watching when your bag drops. I've lost bags twice that way over the years. But I have a lot of travel experience. Still very rare. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom