Checking Nitrox Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight once bubbled...
Anyway, I am thinking that nitrox has been around enough to be a mainstream commodity. I don't know how all the possible ways of mixing it work, but it seems that there ought to be some automated method that would reliably produce a constant source of EAN 32.
Would this be the same as continuous blending? Ask Uncle Pug about it, I've read where he refers to his mixing station as "dial-a-mix" - you analysis the gas upstream to 32% or whatever), and fill away...

A dedicated industry standard "EAN32 tank" would have to have a different valve, kind of like the reverse DIN valves Scubapro were pushing in Europe for a while - if they were simply yoke or DIN, some dive shop monkey (or just someone not paying attention) would eventually fill one up with air or the wrong mix.

I don't view Nitrox as "custom mix" but, that it's a very low volume business. Low enough volume that in the vast majority of dive shops, setting up a totally seperate fill station/gas panel/etc for one specific mix only, it would be very economicaly unfeasable.

As well, personally, if I had a choice, I would not get special tanks that I would only be able fill with EAN32. I don't have the room to store a double specificly for EAN32, and I don't have the money to buy a pair and set them aside. Unless I won the Lotto and moved to a big house with a large garage, I would always prefer to have a more versatile set of tanks.

I don't think analyzing every tank is a pain in the *ss, and I will always make sure it's done and I see the gauge myself.
Just sayin'.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

The answer is more analyzers. hehe but I do my own regs too.

Perhaps better or more reliable analyzers would help. And, I would expect someone who owns or works in a dive shop to do their own regs. My fingers are far more nimble with a pencil and a calculator than they are with a wrench. There are days when changing the batteries in a dive computer can give me a fit.

OK, I give up. Its just another lead baloon. I am just trying to experss my desire to make things more freindly to the recreational diver. Time to go watch some TV & rot my brains.

At Scuba Club Cozumel there are 3 type of gases: air pumped on site, and EAN32 and EAN36 that are dropped off.

One day I went to analyze my tanks, picked out an AL80 of EAN32, complete with little gas analysis stick that showed 32.xxx%.

It was really 36%.

Somehow tank labels had been swapped.

A simple error, but potentially dangerous. A minute to meaure and label my own tank of EAN32 reduces the chances of errors.

Charlie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom