Checking your buddy's gas

Do you check your buddy's gas during a dive?

• Always; I am recreationally trained

Votes: 96 46.4%
  • Always; I am technically trained

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Under specific circumstances; RT

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • Under specific circumstances, TT

Votes: 28 13.5%
  • Rarely or never, RT

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • Rarely or never, TT

Votes: 14 6.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My husband (who is always my buddy) and sometimes others that may dive with us check on each other regularly. In our group I'm best with air (not bragging, just am) so I check on everyone else more often than they probably would think to check on me.

I think on any dive with an END greater than 100 FSW (where END = depth for us recreational divers), we ought to be checking our buddy's air quite regularily in addition to NDL. Where narcosis is a risk, a redundant brain only makes sense.

periodically, getting a reference to our consumption based on the dive logistics. Frequency changes (increases) if conditions warrant. Exchange is information both ways.

I'm recreationally trained. I'd say it depends on the buddy and my familiarity with them.

My primary dive buddy and I breathe very similarly. Probably check in 1-2 times per dive... every 15 minutes or so just to make sure we're still along the same lines (we're usually within 100-200 psi of each other on the same tanks)

Other dive buddies get the question more often, at least until I'm more familiar with them.

Stereotypically speaking, the only way new divers know about how to be a good buddy is to display constant attention. that means OK? or PSI? every minute or so. If you are in a groupe of divers it becomes a constant display of im OK also. We all know, once we become more experienced the need to prove ourselves declines and we learn to enjoy the dive with much fewer groupe checks. We start checking on say 500 psi intervals or psi set points ect. Almost like ther is a plan to it. So in that respect it is,, contrary to free willy's position, a matter to some extent of tech vs rec, or perhaps a level if experience. i think the same division is generally seen with things like frog kick's, qualilty lighting, ect. the behavior of constantly doing air checks lies mostly with newer divers. I have ,when , diving with new divers asked quite often what thier air is when i see a lack of attention on thier gage. When i see them doing periodic checks on thier own i quit asking. In that regard asking PSI is a training tool for developeing good practices. I also know that if you ask me, I dont kave to give you a now presure, the PSI 2-3 minutes ago will do just fine cause i know what the asker is doing with that info. This is especially true when you have 2200#. A 3 min old reading of 800# may deserve a check for a more current presure.

With the crowd I normally dive with...all very experienced divers, DMs, instructors, tech divers, never. Once we agree on turn pressure, whoever reaches it first will signal to others, end of discussion. If diving with new or unfamiliar new divers and I end up in a leadership role, I will attempt to ensure proper pairing and establish way points for gas check in order to assess if we are sticking to the original dive plan or amending the dive plan as previously covered during the dive briefing.

Under specific circumstances, TT

Do frequently: Teaching, DM work, & diving with insta-buddies.

Sometimes: My gf and I signal 1/2 tank, time to go up, and that's about it. Otherwise just a nod or an OK every now and then.

Almost never: Usual buddies (they are also tec divers) that I dive with frequently, and know quite well. They are also all solo divers, so we pretty much do our own thing anyway for the most part.

Under specific circumstances, TT

Do frequently: Teaching, DM work, & diving with insta-buddies.

Sometimes: My gf and I signal 1/2 tank, time to go up, and that's about it. Otherwise just a nod or an OK every now and then.

Almost never: Usual buddies (they are also tec divers) that I dive with frequently, and know quite well. They are also all solo divers, so we pretty much do our own thing anyway for the most part.

Which category do I fit into?

Definitely frequently dude. You are freakin' scary.

:wink:

Probably in the middle just like last time...tell me 1/2 and tell me when done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom