Chlorine and BC Fading

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
Scott/Chad -

In BC forum there was mention that the Zeagle BCs tend to turn brown after being exposed to chlorine in pool water. Is there any truth to that? Now that the weather is getting colder I was thinking I might do some pool dives to keep the skills fresh. I'd hate to see my nice new Brigade turn a funky brown.

Is there anything other than rinsing/soaking with fresh water I should do? How soon after I'm out of the pool (e.g., after the drive home) should I rinse things off?

Any BC will turn funky brown if you use it in the pool enough and don't rinse well.

Just make sure you rinse it well when you're done and it should be fine for a long time.

Terry

Mike126:
Scott/Chad -

In BC forum there was mention that the Zeagle BCs tend to turn brown after being exposed to chlorine in pool water. Is there any truth to that? Now that the weather

That funky brown is a good thing - makes you look like a pro...

Nylon is very prone to chlorine burn - the brown look.

Ballistic and Cordura materials are far more impervious, but they can get a green/gray look as well. There are many parts on many Zeagle and other brand BCs that have nylon trim, which is the first thing to show the burnt edge look.

Occasional pool use with rinsing will not have much of a problem, except maybe some neon color fading.

Instructors and rental/class gear will have a much shorter life, so I recommend Rangers and Stilettos for pool pros.

Chad

I don't usually do pool dives, but most of my dives where in the Caribbeans.:wink:

When I come back home from a dive vacation, I wash my gear in the tub with wetsuit shampoo for about 30 minutes .... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Everything looks brand new .....

:confused: DO NOT WASH YOUR PDC WITH SHAMPOO !!!!

Hello!

Scuba Sciences has been a loyal Zeagle dealer for many years now. The Chlorine brown fading is not just a problem for Zeagle products it happens to most any BCD.

One trick I have learned is to turn off the chlorine from either your salt water computer or chlorinator while you're in the pool. Of course turn it back on when you're done. This keeps the Chlorine from directly getting to the BC.

I soak my BC in fresh water while I'm cleaning up the rest of my equipment and if I have the time (not packing for a trip), I'll soak it in some BC life cleaner from McNett.

It seems to prolong the life of the BC. Maybe it will work for you!

Good Luck,

Tina
Scuba Sciences, AZ
www.scubasciences.com

Mike126:
Hey guys thanks for the replies. I will look like a pool pro soon! :)

No, you're already busted....now when any SBer sees a bcd on a boat that's all faded brown and people are whispering, "wow, he must be a pro".......they will say, "at what? Cleaning swimming pools"? :rofl3: (just kidding)

Chicks dig brown gear, it is the latest hip trend don't you know. who dives a pool really once your certified for god's sake keep diving and you won't need to brush up on any skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom