Question Aquarium anti-chlorine water conditioner for wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The other threads on wetsuit shampoo are like a decade old so I thought I would post a new thread.

Situation is that a new swimming pool opened up close to my home with traffic free shortcut back roads. Now I plan to swim everyday no matter what the weather looks like and I figure I might need to use my Scubapro 0.5mm Profile steamer on the days the water is colder. No wetsuit shampoos available in my country at a reasonable price, only Amazon imported stuff being sold at 25$. But aquarium anti-chlorine water conditioners are cheap at $2 per bottle.

What is the chemical composition of these liquids and can I use it safely on my wetsuit to rinse off pool chlorine? I don’t want my $100 wetsuit to degrade within a year due to chlorine and plan to use it as an inner over the thicker 3mm and more westsuits in colder waters.

Thanks

can I use it safely on my wetsuit to rinse off pool chlorine?
Sorry if I'm stupid, but can't you just rinse the suit with plenty of unchlorinated water (e.g. in the shower)?

If that chlorine has not yet reacted with you suit and degraded it, then it's in solution in the water that makes your suit moist. Rinse it well.
Alternatively, you could source a local snake oil shop.
I don’t want my $100 wetsuit to degrade within a year due to chlorine
Swim faster and you'll be warmer.
Can't you find a cheaper suit for pool sessions? Maybe not?

The issue is that many places in my city also get hard water from borewells with salt deposits that leave ugly marks on kitchen utensils and also damage equipment and clog piping with the deposits. Hence I don’t trust freshwater rinsing solely. These conditioners are made to remove all salts, just wanted an informed opinion if they deteriorate neoprene or fabric in general.

The issue is that many places in my city also get hard water from borewells with salt deposits that leave ugly marks on kitchen utensils and also damage equipment and clog piping with the deposits. Hence I don’t trust freshwater rinsing solely. These conditioners are made to remove all salts, just wanted an informed opinion if they deteriorate neoprene or fabric in general.
A fair point!
I am not qualified to give more in-depth answers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom