Diving Physics - Fresh water spring versus salt water swimming pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sevenrider860

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hopefully this is the appropriate forum for this...

My question is specific to saltwater swimming pools, those with an electrolytic chlorine generator. How much difference in buoyancy is there when moving from a saltwater pool to fresh water?

I am weighting and trimming a DPV. At this time I only have my sisters saltwater pool to use. If properly weighted and trimmed in a saltwater pool to be neutral, I am making the assumption that the DPV will be slightly negative in fresh water...but not enough to make any significant difference. Am I way off in my assumptions?

Thank you in advance for your input.

I don't know with 1st hand experience but I do have a salt pool.... the salt content is pretty low. I'd imagine it's a negligible difference compared with fresh water...The ocean is something like 10x more salty

Yes, very slightly negative in real freshwater. If fresh to salt were a continuum, your salt pool should be about 8.5% of the total from the freshwater end. If your DPV weighs 40 lbs on land, the buoyancy would change by 1.3 oz.

I suggest you put 37 paperclips on it and make it neutral in the pool.

Thank you for confirming my assumptions. I will get it in the springs next week and verify my pool adjustments carry over as expected.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom