Chlorine Barge - Off Daytona Beach-Secret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks much for the help. I continue to research, I will post any facts I get here on the forum. We are going to schedule a dive on teh "chlorine barge" later this month. I understand that the name of the vessel is on the ship, it's just a matter of taking a closer look while diving. I have never been on it before, so it's a trip I am looking forward to.
More info to follow, and once again, thanks for your help..
Warm regards,

Bristolxyz
Paul

Well after al the snooping around I am still not any closer to the original name of the ship. I did speak to someone that dove it (other than Capt JB at my shop) and they say that most of the hatches have bars welded across them, but not in such a way to prevent the hatch from opening, only that it appears that th ebars were welded to prevent anyone from enetring the rooms. Kind of weird.. like it was prepared for sinking.

Anyway, I have talked Capt JB into doing a charter to it so we can dive it. It rests in about 130 FSW and is about 38 miles out. We will be taking the Sea Dog Diver boat (a 42 ft. Newton custom dive boat). If anyone is interested, there are 4 spots left.. (sorry to say, paining spots), but it wil be a memorable dive from what I understand.

I will continue to post any information I get before and after the dive here in this thread. And maybe have some pics for the website.

Warm regards,
Bristolxyz

Clearly its an artifical reef. Contact the county for info.

When you diving it?

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Clearly its an artifical reef. Contact the county for info.

When you diving it?

Tom

Tom,

Capt. JB and I have beendiscussing it and think it would be a good set up for the last week in Sept or first week in Oct. I am going to set a date on Monday. I will pass along all the info then.

I don't know about the artifical reef thing, I have contacted both counties and neither one of them know anything about it. It's very strange, no one wants to tell anything about it, much less give up the numbers to it. It was like pulling teeth to get the nubers.

Capt. JB and Rick (Sea Dogs Shop owners) have been diving these waters for 14 years and they have both been on it, but other than the large amount of fish on it, it's not visited too often. As far as I know, only a hand full of people have been on it. Sea Dogs did a trip last year to it, but no one thought to get the ships name off the hull.

Aparently it was a "push" barge, no engine.

Anyway, I will keep you posted. If it would help, I'll send you the numbers (via email, send me email at paul@bluewaterdiving.com) . Maybe you can see if it matches anything you have heard of, etc?

Warm regards,

Paul

Get a NOAA chart#11480 with loran overprinting .There is wreck symbol @ the above #s .

100days-a-year once bubbled...
Get a NOAA chart#11480 with loran overprinting .There is wreck symbol @ the above #s .

In which case it should be in AWOIS. Can you post the lat-lon please and I'll check (doesn't have to be down to seconds, just degrees and minutes).

WW

~29.35' &80.33' I didn't look ,but I have a # in the area from crittcorr or awois.It's far jaunt for me,but during the summer we do 100nm round trips at least once a week.

100days-a-year once bubbled...
~29.35' &80.33' I didn't look ,but I have a # in the area from crittcorr or awois.It's far jaunt for me,but during the summer we do 100nm round trips at least once a week.

Did a search on AWOIS area 8, nothing listed at those coords.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom