Choosing between Oceanic VT3 and Atom 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased a ATOM 2.0 before leaving on a trip to Maui. Prior to that I had an older oceanic AI computer. Overall I prefered the older computer that I had to this one. So far the ATOM has been nothing but trouble. The older computer was much easier to configure compared to the ATOM, and I could figure out everything without needing a manual.

Another issue I have is that it is easy to reset the ATOM if you are programing it using a PC. While on vacation I decided to hook it up to my laptop and enter in the settings for my buddies transmitter. I hooked up the computer, loaded the program, typed in the info for the 2nd transmitter, and than saved the info. By doing this I basically over wrote the settings for my transmitter, no warning message about this. What I realized later is that I should have downloaded from the computer, than typed in the info, than saved it back. So there I was on the beach trying to read the manual and reconfigure the comptuer to my transmitter the next morning. I couldn't figure that out using the manual and ended up aborting the dive. I have also had trouble with configuring some of the other settings using the manual, seems either there is something wrong with the watch, or the manual doesn't match the computer.

I suspect that the watch has some issues and spoke to the LDS that I purchased it from. I'll be taking it back to them later this week to see if they can figure out why some of the settings cannot be changed. Hopefully they'll be willing to just exchange it for one that is more user freindly.

For those that are curious I am computer literate, and tech savy. This watch could be more user freindly IMO.

From reading your post I find the failure was your's not the computer's!

It is foolish to think that you can strap on an advanced piece of equipment and use it without first reading the manual.

You say you are computer literate and tech savy but this is not a piece of technology to communicate with friends and associates or print your pictures on.
This is to help insure your safety while submerged in an aquatic environment.

The paperwork that comes with the computer states quite specifically to read the manual before attempting to use the computer.

I suspect that your computer literacy and tech savy ends with a PC keyboard and TV remote control.

Your review of this product is completely without merit. The failure was your's and your's alone. I hope your LDS hands you back the computer and tells you to go read the manual completely before wasting anyone else's time.
Don't hold back. . .How do you really feel?!?!:D

From reading your post I find the failure was your's not the computer's!

It is foolish to think that you can strap on an advanced piece of equipment and use it without first reading the manual.

You say you are computer literate and tech savy but this is not a piece of technology to communicate with friends and associates or print your pictures on.
This is to help insure your safety while submerged in an aquatic environment.

The paperwork that comes with the computer states quite specifically to read the manual before attempting to use the computer.

I suspect that your computer literacy and tech savy ends with a PC keyboard and TV remote control.

Your review of this product is completely without merit. The failure was your's and your's alone. I hope your LDS hands you back the computer and tells you to go read the manual completely before wasting anyone else's time.

Did I ever say that I didn't read the manual? No I did not say that, reread the post you DA. I read the manual, several hours on a long flight with nothing else to do long before taking it diving. Some button combinations are not working as they are supposed to according to the manual.

Also FYI I could run circles around most people in the tech area. I have about 18 years in the IT field rangeing from radar repair, krypto communications, LAN admin, to Assistant VP IT director for a rather large bank. I manage over 300 computers, and 45 servers by myself and they are spread out all across the US, and I manage them from my home office. So whats your level of tech savy?

Did I ever say that I didn't read the manual? No I did not say that, reread the post you DA. I read the manual, several hours on a long flight with nothing else to do long before taking it diving. Some button combinations are not working as they are supposed to according to the manual.

Also FYI I could run circles around most people in the tech area. I have about 18 years in the IT field rangeing from radar repair, krypto communications, LAN admin, to Assistant VP IT director for a rather large bank. I manage over 300 computers, and 45 servers by myself and they are spread out all across the US, and I manage them from my home office. So whats your level of tech savy?

"So there I was on the beach trying to read the manual and reconfigure the comptuer to my transmitter the next morning."

I reread it and you are full of ..... and you spell computer funny.:rofl3:

I didn't need to use my technical background to learn to properly used either the Atom 2.0 or VT3 computers. I was able to figure out 75% of each computers functionality by just playing with the buttons. The hard part is learning how to program it manually for your dive needs. Instead of using a laptop and adapter cable.
Before actually diving with each computer I did read it's manual and taught myself how to use it.
I ran water over it and made sure it detected wet. I took the time set up my gear and tried it in my pool. I was sure I could use it before I relied on it.
You are just soooo tech savy that you skipped those important steps!
So who's a DA?

"So there I was on the beach trying to read the manual and reconfigure the comptuer to my transmitter the next morning."

I reread it and you are full of ..... and you spell computer funny.:rofl3:

I didn't need to use my technical background to learn to properly used either the Atom 2.0 or VT3 computers. I was able to figure out 75% of each computers functionality by just playing with the buttons. The hard part is learning how to program it manually for your dive needs. Instead of using a laptop and adapter cable.
Before actually diving with each computer I did read it's manual and taught myself how to use it.
I ran water over it and made sure it detected wet. I took the time set up my gear and tried it in my pool. I was sure I could use it before I relied on it.
You are just soooo tech savy that you skipped those important steps!
So who's a DA?

If you go back and re read my entire post you would see that I read the manual, after the computer started giving me trouble, and the buttons were not doing what they are supposed to do, I never said I hadn't already read it. As it is now I can no longer even change the date and time. FWIW I also already had several dives on the computer, not like this was the 1st dive that I used this computer.

Anyways keep posting it shows your ignorance and stupidity.:lotsalove:

If you go back and re read my entire post you would see that I read the manual, after the computer started giving me trouble, and the buttons were not doing what they are supposed to do, I never said I hadn't already read it. As it is now I can no longer even change the date and time. FWIW I also already had several dives on the computer, not like this was the 1st dive that I used this computer.

Anyways keep posting it shows your ignorance and stupidity.:lotsalove:

You still missed the points.

1) You should have read the manual before you attempted to use the computer on a dive. Not "after the computer started giving you trouble". (If indeed the computer had problems which I doubt at this point)

2) You should have made sure both that it was functional and you completely understood the function before attempting to taking it diving. The fact that you miss these points entirely is of concern.

Your Posts have shown you not only to be unaware of your lack of basic safety precedures but also the fact that you are not as intelligent a you think you are.

And I intend to keep posting to point out your ignorance, stupidity and lack of safety protocol.

The Atom 2.0 is a fine PDC the problem is you apparently can not follow directions or safety protocol. I feel bad for your buddy since you cancelled a dive due to your lack of understanding.

You still missed the points.

1) You should have read the manual before you attempted to use the computer on a dive. Not "after the computer started giving you trouble". (If indeed the computer had problems which I doubt at this point)

2) You should have made sure both that it was functional and you completely understood the function before attempting to taking it diving. The fact that you miss these points entirely is of concern.

Your Posts have shown you not only to be unaware of your lack of basic safety precedures but also the fact that you are not as intelligent a you think you are.

And I intend to keep posting to point out your ignorance, stupidity and lack of safety protocol.

The Atom 2.0 is a fine PDC the problem is you apparently can not follow directions or safety protocol. I feel bad for your buddy since you cancelled a dive due to your lack of understanding.

You truely are dense and stupid, and seeing that you dont read half of what I have said I'll spell it out for you.

1. I read the manual before diving, and only re read it when the buttons did not function correctly. I had already had several dives using the computer, and only went back to the manual after it started malfunctioning. As with any computer there is always the probability that it will malfunction, and this one has. It will be going back for repair, and hopefully the LDS will trade it out for something else.

2. I understood all the functions well before taking it diving. Go back and re read all my posts. After several hours on the plane playing with the comptuer and manual I think I had a pretty good understanding on how it works, however when it doesn't work the 1st thing you do is get out the manual. You say lack of safety, but cancelling a dive because of gear malfunction shows the opposite. Would you still dive on a malfunctioning computer?

Again you assume a lot in. I was in a group when I aborted the dive, and there were enough that the group still completed the dive, including my buddy. So while they spent a good hour diving I sat on the beach trying to figure out why the buttons did not work as they are supposed to. Even took out the battery, re read the manual and called the LDS I bought the computer from.

So keep assuming. You know what they say about people that assume. You should also reconsider your sig.:D

You truely are dense and stupid, and seeing that you dont read half of what I have said I'll spell it out for you.

1. I read the manual before diving, and only re read it when the buttons did not function correctly. I had already had several dives using the computer, and only went back to the manual after it started malfunctioning. As with any computer there is always the probability that it will malfunction, and this one has. It will be going back for repair, and hopefully the LDS will trade it out for something else.

2. I understood all the functions well before taking it diving. Go back and re read all my posts. After several hours on the plane playing with the comptuer and manual I think I had a pretty good understanding on how it works, however when it doesn't work the 1st thing you do is get out the manual. You say lack of safety, but cancelling a dive because of gear malfunction shows the opposite. Would you still dive on a malfunctioning computer?

Again you assume a lot in. I was in a group when I aborted the dive, and there were enough that the group still completed the dive, including my buddy. So while they spent a good hour diving I sat on the beach trying to figure out why the buttons did not work as they are supposed to. Even took out the battery, re read the manual and called the LDS I bought the computer from.

So keep assuming. You know what they say about people that assume. You should also reconsider your sig.:D

I have reread your original posts and at no time did you mention reading the manual on the plane.
It seems your story changes each time you restate it.
I never said that cancelling the dive wasn't the proper safety protocol just the I felt bad for your buddy.
The fact remains that you started using the computer without proper testing of it and what should be obvious to all by now with out a redundant system so you wouldn't have to cancel your dive.
It would have been simple to have either a second computer or gauge set and tables until you were sure that your new computer functioned properly.
You blew your dive! By not properly testing a new piece of equipment.
Failures happen to even the best products but you weren't ready.
If you were you wouldn't have wasted your time on the beach!
And I still have doubts if anything is wrong with the computer!
At this point I'd bet on your earlier dive being in violation and causing a 24hour lockout.

As for my signature line you should have considered it before making yourself sound ignorant with you first post!

I have reread your original posts and at no time did you mention reading the manual on the plane.
It seems your story changes each time you restate it.
I never said that cancelling the dive wasn't the proper safety protocol just the I felt bad for your buddy.
The fact remains that you started using the computer without proper testing of it and what should be obvious to all by now with out a redundant system so you wouldn't have to cancel your dive.
It would have been simple to have either a second computer or gauge set and tables until you were sure that your new computer functioned properly.
You blew your dive! By not properly testing a new piece of equipment.
Failures happen to even the best products but you weren't ready.
If you were you wouldn't have wasted your time on the beach!
And I still have doubts if anything is wrong with the computer!
At this point I'd bet on your earlier dive being in violation and causing a 24hour lockout.

As for my signature line you should have considered it before making yourself sound ignorant with you first post!

You obviuosly only have read part of what I have posted. Clearly stated in one of my posts here about reading the manual on the plane. Just shows you have only have read part of what I have stated.

My story has never changed, just you have read a lot into it without taking the time to read. Shows your own ignorance.

I did have a backup system, but time was short and I told everyone to get going on the dive. I didn't want to hold up the group as I changed out the transmitter with an older PDG. Would have had to dig for tools etc.

Several dives on a new computer is not a good test? Again you've read half of what I have typed. The computer was not locked out do to a dive violation. Again you assume a lot.

Idiots like you are the reason I dont post very often on MB's. Rather than asking for more specifics, you assume a lot, attack people without good cause or information, and than rather than admit your own stupidity you try to defend it with more misinformation.:dork2:

I purchased a ATOM 2.0 before leaving on a trip to Maui. Prior to that I had an older oceanic AI computer. Overall I prefered the older computer that I had to this one. So far the ATOM has been nothing but trouble. The older computer was much easier to configure compared to the ATOM, and I could figure out everything without needing a manual.

Another issue I have is that it is easy to reset the ATOM if you are programing it using a PC. While on vacation I decided to hook it up to my laptop and enter in the settings for my buddies transmitter. I hooked up the computer, loaded the program, typed in the info for the 2nd transmitter, and than saved the info. By doing this I basically over wrote the settings for my transmitter, no warning message about this. What I realized later is that I should have downloaded from the computer, than typed in the info, than saved it back. So there I was on the beach trying to read the manual and reconfigure the comptuer to my transmitter the next morning. I couldn't figure that out using the manual and ended up aborting the dive. I have also had trouble with configuring some of the other settings using the manual, seems either there is something wrong with the watch, or the manual doesn't match the computer.

I suspect that the watch has some issues and spoke to the LDS that I purchased it from. I'll be taking it back to them later this week to see if they can figure out why some of the settings cannot be changed. Hopefully they'll be willing to just exchange it for one that is more user freindly.

For those that are curious I am computer literate, and tech savy. This watch could be more user freindly IMO.

Stacy the above is a copy of you first post in this thread. It is Post #29
It says nothing about reading on the plane!

On Your next post #32 you tell me to reread claiming you read the manual on the plane but that is not in your earlier post!

This is in black and white for all to read and you are making yourself look like the rear end of a horse. I suggest you curtail your posting further. In particular don't post opinions of equipment that you don't properly know how to use.

Your comment on changing out the transmitter for a guage set I find laughable since it would take most of us less than a minute to accomplish the task. So you spent and hour on the beach for no reason. LOL

This is my last comment on your foolishness since it is simple for all to see your shortcomings and stupidity. Lets just say I'd hate to find myself having to rely on you as a dive buddy and wouldn't wish you on anyone else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom