Chronic effects after breast implant while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is what it is, right? I am no more brave than the next guy (girl, in this case)...just did what I had to. Any woman I know would have done the same. At any rate, since I am so young (only 35 now) and had a pretty early-stage cancer treated very aggressively both medically and surgically, I am almost certainly going to see the day where my implants have to be replaced - saline ones typically last 10 years in a woman with reconstruction, according to my plastic surgeon. In fact, I am likely to have to have them replaced two or three (or more) times during my life. So - as far as deformity goes, I am not that worried. I'd just have them replaced (but then again, mine were and will continue to be covered by my health insurance, so it's not a big deal).

In any case - I do not think that rupture is a big concern, and it looks like there has been specific compression/decompression evidence to support this. Deformity...well, nothing is perfect, though we are often harsher critics of our bodies than anyone else! Guess your friend should find out how often she would have to have her implants replaced for augmentation purposes - and she should ask her doctor if the implants would be replaced for free if there was a "deformity" issue due to any cause - the bottom line - she needs to sit down with her plastic surgeon and ASK SOME QUESTIONS. it may seem a little embarrassing, but this is her body...and she can rest assured that the plastic surgeon has been asked way more embarrassing questions! Believe me, the stuff I asked my surgeon...

Sloshing - I have read a lot about this, but it isn't something I have ever experienced...I don't think...but then again, I really don't care much about that anyways.

Pleiades, my best to your friend - let me know what happens, OK?

Response to the concerns, I've never read anywhere that implants present a problem to divers - and I read everything regarding diving I can put my hands on! Personally, I recommend against it (guess I'm not a 'breast guy') but it's her decision and she shouldn't give up diving because of it.

vetdiver:
In any case - I do not think that rupture is a big concern, and it looks like there has been specific compression/decompression evidence to support this. Deformity...well, nothing is perfect, though we are often harsher critics of our bodies than anyone else! Guess your friend should find out how often she would have to have her implants replaced for augmentation purposes - and she should ask her doctor if the implants would be replaced for free if there was a "deformity" issue due to any cause - the bottom line - she needs to sit down with her plastic surgeon and ASK SOME QUESTIONS. it may seem a little embarrassing, but this is her body...and she can rest assured that the plastic surgeon has been asked way more embarrassing questions! Believe me, the stuff I asked my surgeon...
Pleiades, my best to your friend - let me know what happens, OK?

Thanks for the invaluable information. Have referred her to SB and she might have already viewed this post... Bottom line, as agreed with you, she just need to have a good conversation with her doctor. And personally, I dont reckon its gonna have an problem in the near future should she continue with the dive...

Thanks....

Pleiades,

I think the magazine Tobagoman was talking about is the September 2004 issue of Scuba Diving. The article title is 'Diving In Vain' by Selene Yeager, on page 81. The article covers Botox, Nips-Lifts & Tucks, Breast Augmentation, Skin Resurfacing and Hair Replacement.
The magazine has a website www.scubadiving.com I don't know if the article is on the website, but it might be worth a look.

My sister had breast cancer surgery with reconstruction. She is an avid diver and dive instructor. We checked with DAN regarding a month long trip to PNG with up to five dives a day. Unfortunately, there is precious little data involved with diving after treatment. My sister did have a problem that may, or may not, be treatment related. She dove no more than three dives a day (much less that the rest of us) and WELL within the limits. Toward the end of the trip she had a round of "skin bends" that resolved with O2 therapy. I asked DAN if her Chemo and radiation and surgery might have contributed to this. They said ????dunno???
If you dive, carry a downloadable computer with you so that you can send the profiles to DAN. They need to start a database on post cancer dive complications (or lack thereof).
Good luck in your decision. Be very conservative at first and progress slowly. Help develope better knowledge by providing information that may help all women.

Allison-

Is your sister still diving?

I am really glad you posted - I have all of my dives downloaded since treatment (chemo and radical surgery - but due to my stage 1 status and the location of my tumor, I escaped radiation by opting for mastectomy), so I think I will look into contacting DAN periodically. Do you have a contact there who has been working with your sister?

I wonder if the radiation was the culprit in your sister's case - then again, what kind of reconstruction did she have - I assume implant recon? Was her bends localized to the surgical area? I'd really appreciate any info you could give me.

I was pretty close to NDL about 2 weeks ago, the closest I've been since treatment, and I've had no problems at all - but your post makes me wonder if maybe I should be paying closer attention.

Thanks - and my best to your sister and your family - Allison

She went to PNG after her treatment (she was stage three). She had lymph nodes removed as well as chemo, radiation, and implant reconstruction.

We do not know why she contracted skin bends. It was an irritated purple rash on her torso. Luckily, it resolved with O2 therapy. I don't know who she contacted at DAN, but it was one of their docs. The contact was made after we had returned to the states.

My family is very involved with trip downloading for DAN's database. We often spend a month at a time, usually in PNG. This was the first trip since her treatment. We live within five miles of the DAN headquarters and we take several of their loaner computers and recorders with us. They download the info on our return. This info is critical for dive research. It allows info on all the dives that go right instead of only having info on bad dives. Compiling data on post cancer treatment and how it has affected each person's experiences post treatment can be vital to future knowledge.

If you are going on a dive trip, Contact DAN about this data and they might be able to send you a recorder or computer to take along with you.

Happy diving! Congratulations on your getting through that terrible experience. There are a LOT of post treatment divers out there.

We have all been diving since the late 60's and she has never been predisposed to DCS. However, kaka can happen at any time. There were no aggravating circumstances. She was well clear on her profiles.

???who knows??....

Kat:
Pleiades,

I think the magazine Tobagoman was talking about is the September 2004 issue of Scuba Diving. The article title is 'Diving In Vain' by Selene Yeager, on page 81. The article covers Botox, Nips-Lifts & Tucks, Breast Augmentation, Skin Resurfacing and Hair Replacement.
The magazine has a website www.scubadiving.com I don't know if the article is on the website, but it might be worth a look.

Kat, thanks. Gotten the emailed article from Tobagoman.

Allison Finch:
If you are going on a dive trip, Contact DAN about this data and they might be able to send you a recorder or computer to take along with you.

Happy diving! Congratulations on your getting through that terrible experience. There are a LOT of post treatment divers out there.

We have all been diving since the late 60's and she has never been predisposed to DCS. However, kaka can happen at any time. There were no aggravating circumstances. She was well clear on her profiles.

???who knows??....

Allison, thanks for sharing. This is an awesome information that most post treatment divers might need. It makes me reflects on the blessing that I'm able to dive without much worries...

My best regards to your sister...

Allison F -

We do dive almost every weekend, so I have a bunch of backlogged dives that I could send them - plus, we have two dedicated dive trips next year planned. I will email DAN today for a contact. Thanks so much.

BTW, we are probably going to do PNG in fall 2006 - I think I have had exchanges with you before about PNG.

I'll be keeping your sister in my thoughts - I know there are a lot of us out there, but sometimes, you can feel like the only one!!

Thanks again - Allison

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom