Chuuk & Palau Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Chuuk & Palau Trip Report
Chuuk – 13-20th Apr 08 – Odyssey Liveaboard.
My 1st Live aboard and I was very impressed. Dive operation was very well organised. 4 dives a day as I did not do any of the night dives (22 dives total).
Done approx 13 different wrecks during the week.
Food & accom were great. I had a single room with large bathroom.
Highlight was the shark dive on the outer reef, betty bomber, Fujikawa Maru.
Liveaboard is the best way to do Chuuk, although the main hotel on Chuuk is nice there is very little else to do & see. Most wrecks are very close to Weno, but it was great diving off the liveaboard, so easy. Vessel moored at each wreck and then just jump in. Viss was not great. Only done 2 penetrations with the guide. Generally 1 or 2 guides were available for each dive however they were mainly there to guide the penetration dives. The major downside to travelling alone was I was not buddied up with any other diver. Generally they were happy to let people dive solo. I always tried to stay close by other divers however there were times during the week I was a considerable distance from the nearest diver. I found this a little uncomfortable at first. Was not sure if this is the normal for a liveaboard operation as all other divers were very experienced.
Was expensive but well worth it.

Palau – 22-30th Apr Eco Explorer (Flexi Liveaboard 4 nights) & Sams
Eco Explorer definitely not as luxurious as the Odyssey but I enjoyed the Eco Explorer more. I had a room on the C deck. Bathroom was very small. Was a bit noisy However food & dive guides were great. Only 14 onboard so there was lots of room. I think the boat can accom up to 32. Diving was done from 1 tender so it was a bit crammed getting to the dive sites but generally it only took 5-10 mins to get to the sites. Dive gear stayed on the tendor. Only gripe was the lack of safe camera area on the dive tenders. There was a floor space near the driver for cameras but was not really safe. Seeing sharks on practically every dive was incredible.
Unfortunately I joined the liveaboard 2 dives after the group saw a whale shark at Blue corner. Also not much current on any of the dives. No real need to hook in.
5 dives a day, sea conditions very calm. Blue corner, blue holes, Ulong channel & Chandeller caves were my favourites. Unfortunately Peleliu was a bit of a no show as there was no current.
Ulong channel was the best dive as the guides timed it to perfection. Diving at approx 17.00 when the current was into the basin. Stayed at mouth watching the sharks for 10-15 mins then enjoyed the ride into the basin with the incoming tide. Great fun dive.
Sams
2 Dive days. 1st day was ok. Ulong channel was no way as good diving at 11.00 , bad viss diving at slack tide. This is one advantage of the liveaboards. 2nd day done Virgin Blue hole, blue hole with Blue Corner & new drop off. Great day diving. The guides and crew were great fun. However then did not tell us where we were diving until 10 mins before each dive.
1 day rock Island/snorkelling tour was great. Saw Nautilus!!!, 50 black tip reef sharks while snorkelling at beach during lunch stop(sharks were feed the leftovers) and then jellyfish lake which was amazing. Also saw a 10ft tiger shark in German channel. Amazing day. Best day of my trip.

Overall- Best diving I have done. Palau was amazing & I am already planning to return in Nov/Dec. The variety of diving in Palau was great; drift, walls, reef, caves, wrecks. Definitely recommend Palau & the Eco Explorer. Doing the flexi liveaboard & then land based was great.

seem like you had lots of fun.. good!
I am planning a trip to palau& don't know whether to do the liveaboard or not, how would you compare the two? of course you get to dive more on the LOB, but don't you miss out the island?
anyways, great report! and remind me not to go dive with the LOB you mentioned in chuuk...
Thanks!

thanks for the report! I am glad to hear another favorable report for the Eco Explorer. We were with them in Dec and loved the whole operation! :D We had crazy wild current on our dives (right after new moon) so maybe that had an affect. So who were your dive guides for the week? Marco and Richard and the new guides who arrived the week we left? They were all great. Palau is amazing!!!

It is nice to hear more about the Odyssey liveaboard. I have heard from a few friends who have done it and they say it is absolute luxury. You mentioned that most of the wrecks could have been done by land-based op - I haven't heard that before. The Odyssey is really $$$ so we might think about that if we ever go back to Micronesia.

You might want to post a link to this report down on the Liveaboards Forum. My report last Dec was the first for any Palau liveaboard in years.

robin:D

I have about 200 dives in Palau over the last 8 years...never have seen a Whaleshark....Never a Nautilus...Never a Tiger Shark...Never 50 schooling Black tips...man I am jealous!....guess I need to go back!

I have added some photos to my gallery. (Not figured out how to add them to actual posts.)

Dakar –
There is not a huge difference between diving shore based & liveaboard IMHO. You can do 3 dives a day on the outer reef shore based as long as there are 4-6 divers up for it. The main advantage in choosing a liveaboard is that you will get to see all the great sites during the week and at the best times. i.e when the current/tides are good.
On flexi liveaboard I was doing 4 day dives & 1 night dive.
Land based you may not get to see all the sites if they cannot fill a boat for example down to Peleliu or the wrecks or the Mandarin dives. While I was at Sams there was a sign up list for these dive days and they would not go until they had 6 divers. It was very quiet in Palau when I was there. During my 3 days at sams, there was only 2 boats going out.

I enjoyed the land based diving as much as the liveaboard. It is nice travelling through the rock Is on the way to the sites. Normal travel times are less than 1 hr. Surface interval was normally on a nice beach or a snorkel spot & the guides/boatmen were very amusing. The lunches were very good.

If you can afford the liveaboard option I would highly recommend it. I was worried about getting sea sick, but the waters were flat calm. Our boat was moored at the German channel most of the time (very sheltered). The Eco was also big enough to find a quiet area.
Land based there is not a lot to do in the evenings. I had a few beers at Sams/Palm bay & Kramers with some food. So in my opinion there is not much advantage on staying on land, apart from it being way cheaper.

Robin-
Yep I should say thanks. It was your trip report that made me do the Eco. Marius/Richard are still there, although I think they are both leaving soon Haley/Francesca/Philip/martin were the new guides. All very good/friendly.
The Odyssey was luxury. My cabin was great. Again the lagoon was very calm so there was no need to worry about being on a boat all week.
The Odyssey is extremely busy. Most of the folks on my trip had booked a couple of years in advance. Normally there is not many spots available. I must have been lucky as I only booked 2 months before my trip. It is very possible to do land based in Chuuk. Pretty much all the wrecks were close to main hotel in Weno. However the day boats are very small. Not as good as the day boats in Palau. Doing the liveaboard in Chuuk was great. Was so easy. Not many people did the night dives, so 4 dives a day. There are a few amazing wrecks there. However I have to say that after 1 week they started to look similar!! 3 or 4 dives days on the best wrecks would have done me. Palau was better. However there was a couple on board that I also met in Palau who thought Chuuk was much better. I guess if you are into history/wrecks/penetration diving Chuuk is hard to beat. I was not into going into the Engine rooms /penetration stuff.

Travelnsj-
You should do LESS diving & more snorkelling!!!! I could not believe it when we arrived at new drop off , jumped in to snorkel and below me was a pot with several Nautils!! Several divers were “playing with them” The boatman said he had only ever seen 1 other Tiger shark before so I guess we were very lucky. We followed it in the boat for about 5 mins.
The whale shark showed up after the mass coral spawning that happened a few days before I arrived in Palau. The coral spawning was even mentioned on the BBC while I was in the West Plaza hotel!!

Palau is amazing!! I am planning to head back in Nov/Dec. One of our guides said this is a good time to see Mantas/Sharks.

Travelnsj-
You should do LESS diving & more snorkelling!!!! I could not believe it when we arrived at new drop off , jumped in to snorkel and below me was a pot with several Nautils!! Several divers were “playing with them” The boatman said he had only ever seen 1 other Tiger shark before so I guess we were very lucky. We followed it in the boat for about 5 mins.
The whale shark showed up after the mass coral spawning that happened a few days before I arrived in Palau. The coral spawning was even mentioned on the BBC while I was in the West Plaza hotel!!

Palau is amazing!! I am planning to head back in Nov/Dec. One of our guides said this is a good time to see Mantas/Sharks.

In the eight trips I have made to Palau....I do not recall ever snorkelling....I should try it!...LOL... Oct/Nov is known as the best time for Mantas everwhere in Palau...I think it is mating season. I was thinking of going in November this year (as I did not want to miss my annual trip) but being I'm headed to Lembeh/Papua in Oct...I'll probably wait till March. Plus being I get seasick walking in rain....and the weather is a bit more iffy in Oct-Jan I usually pick late feb thru March.

Glad you had a great trip....Hard to beat Palau...and to think I gave it up this spring to go to Layang Layang:shakehead:

I have about 200 dives in Palau over the last 8 years...never have seen a Whaleshark....Never a Nautilus...Never a Tiger Shark...Never 50 schooling Black tips...man I am jealous!....guess I need to go back!
Which dive spot in Palau do you prefer?

Which dive spot in Palau do you prefer?

That is a diffcult question.....I guess....Blue Corner...Peleliu wall down to the cut (if the current is ripping)...Ulong...Turtle cove....New Dropoff...Big dropoff....German Channel (if it is happening that day)...Jake Plane...so many great sites!

That is a diffcult question.....I guess....Blue Corner...Peleliu wall down to the cut (if the current is ripping)...Ulong...Turtle cove....New Dropoff...Big dropoff....German Channel (if it is happening that day)...Jake Plane...so many great sites!
I dived in Palau and I found Blue Corner, Siaes Tunnel and Ulong Channel very beautiful. Palau is one of most beautiful world for the diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom