Cinematographer paralyzed saving diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damnit! God Bless you Mike, wishing you the very best.

Mike Prickett Paralyzed | SURFLINE.COM

World-renowned underwater cinematographer Mike Prickett Paralyzed

"I was doing an underwater shoot for wetsuits and dive gear," Prickett told Honolulu-based KITV News. "I saw another diver sinking and panicking. I dove down to 220 feet to save him, but he used up all my air. I'm glad I was able to rescue him and he could walk away from the incident. I want to thank my family and friends for their prayers."

Unfortunately, the bends left Prickett paralyzed from the chest down. And though he has since regained some sensation in his legs, his condition is still serious. Surfline received an update from Tahiti-based photographer and Teahupo'o fixture Tim McKenna after he had returned from the hospital.

"I saw another diver sinking and panicking. I dove down to 220 feet to save him, but he used up all my air."
-- Mike Prickett

From the bottom of the same source:

Update effect Thursday evening, as reported by noted Tahiti photographer Tim McKenna: "He is much more cheerful today and even showed me how he could move his left leg slightly. So he is making some progress and everybody is hopeful he will be able to walk again after some therapy.
At this stage he should fly back to L.A next Monday or Tuesday."

threads merged...

In the best traditon of the sea and diving. My profound respect Mike. God Bless. Best wishes and prayers for a complete recovery!

In the best traditon of the sea and diving. My profound respect Mike. God Bless. Best wishes and prayers for a complete recovery!
Yes, heroic - but I would not blame anyone for not doing the same. We are taught to not make ourselves another victim, which he did. Obviously he did not have the gas & no-deco time for a 200 ft rescue and air share to safely save the other diver from his mistakes.

Question --

As this was a commercial shoot, aren't there normally safety divers?

If there had been one, someone could have shared air with Mike as the victim was sent CESA.

Last edited:
Yes, heroic - but I would not blame anyone for not doing the same. We are taught to not make ourselves another victim, which he did. Obviously he did not have the gas & no-deco time for a 200 ft rescue and air share to safely save the other diver from his mistakes.

Last year one of the guys I was diving with in NC told me the same thing. " I'd never risk my life to save some else". I told him thanks for the heads up. If I see you in trouble I'll keep that in mind. He didn't like that..... why not? People ask me why I perfer solo?

Geez I hope he recovers. He's obviously just one of those good guys that you hope are around when the stuff hits the fan. Anyone seen any statements from the diver he rescued?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom