City of Lake Worth just doesn't get it - Diver support needed Sept. 4th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepstops

Blacklight Poster
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
There will be a meeting of the Lake Worth City Commissioners on 9/4 at 530 pm to discuss this at Lake Worth City Hall. Public comment and the vote to hire a law firm will probably be about an hour later.

http://shorterlink.com/?EQYHPR

Lake Worth might hire lobbyist for permit push

By NICOLE JANOK
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Saturday, September 01, 2007

LAKE WORTH — Fearing that a state agency will not issue a permit that would allow the dumping of millions of gallons of nutrient-laden water near a pristine coral reef, the city is seeking to hire a law firm to lobby for the permit.

Commissioners will be asked Tuesday to approve hiring Tallahassee-based Hopping Green and Sams to help "persuade" the state Department of Environmental Protection to issue the permit.

Hopping Green and Sams specializes in public sector environmental and land-use law, according to its Web site.

Lake Worth initiated the reverse osmosis drinking water process five years ago to provide an alternative water source and relieve its coastal well fields, which are threatened by salt-water intrusion.

Scientists, divers and marine ecologists have strongly objected to city plans to dump a byproduct of the process, reverse osmosis concentrate, through the city's 92-foot deep sewage outfall pipe. The pipe extends almost to Horseshoe Reef, one of the area's premiere diving locales about a mile offshore.

While opponents say that nutrients in the concentrate will cause algae blooms that will destroy the reef, city officials have maintained the reef will not be harmed.

Mayor Jeff Clemens is not sure whether he'll support hiring a law firm to pursue the permit, which can be costly and time-consuming, he said.

Clemens and other commissioners recently met with Utility Director Samy Faried to discuss the outfall permit and other possible alternatives to getting rid of the concentrate, including very costly deep-well injection.

At that time, Clemens learned that the Department of Environmental Protection may not approve the permit, he said.

"I think they've really put Lake Worth in a difficult position," Clemens said of the department. "There was every indication that the DEP knew that this outfall would not have any impact on the environment, and they've switched positions ... and that means we have spent several millions of dollars without gaining any benefit from it."

Clemens said if the South Florida Water Management District and DEP had a cohesive plan for addressing alternative water solutions, it might prevent small municipalities from getting entangled in such controversies.

Jack Long, the DEP Southeast District director, said a final decision on the permit is expected in the next three to four weeks.

He would not elaborate on what the decision would be or what the DEP has told Lake Worth about issuing the permit.

Ed Tichenor, director of Palm Beach County Reef Rescue, which has led the fight against the permit, said he hopes the DEP has started to rethink how it manages coral reef systems.

"Coral reefs in Florida and across the world are in trouble, and you can't take chances with them anymore like we did in the past," he said.

Some have suggested the city dump the concentrate into the Lake Worth Lagoon, which has undergone massive restoration efforts, or extend the pipe farther from the reef.

None of those options has been seriously considered and would be far more expensive.

There is a vote today at the city hall in Lake Worth on this matter, and implore you, if you are local please come and make your voice heard. These reefs are the healthiest in Florida, but are faced with many serious issues that could change this. Please help us protect the reefs.

We had a good turn-out tonight to oppose this manure.

I especially liked the two presenters from the Surfrider group. They obviously did their homework. :)

I couldn't stay for the vote on hiring the law firm lobbyists (my 8 y.o. has an early bedtime). Does anyone know what the vote was??

deepstops:
We had a good turn-out tonight to oppose this manure.

I especially liked the two presenters from the Surfrider group. They obviously did their homework. :)

I couldn't stay for the vote on hiring the law firm lobbyists (my 8 y.o. has an early bedtime). Does anyone know what the vote was??

They are not going to pursue the lobbyist, and from what I could tell really seemed to be trying awfully hard to explore other means of disposing of the effluent.
Yea!

Scubakevdm:
They are not going to pursue the lobbyist, and from what I could tell really seemed to be trying awfully hard to explore other means of disposing of the effluent.
Yea!

Hoo! Rah!!! This is great news. :wink:

Scubakevdm:
Two words: Sewage Treatment

Scubakevdm:
I think that the volume might be more then they could handle. They anticipate about 4 million gallons a day

If it's that much effluent, they just undermined their argument of "no environmental risk" from direct dumping.

Somebody at the city has poo for brains, or expects the locals to have poo for brains. I wonder if they didn't take the lobbyist 'cuz said lobbyist said their case was really dumb.:no

Hi Guys,

I think you need to look more closely at the issue before jumping to conclusions and becoming an unthinking mob. I would have to look into the details to arrive at an informed opinion. But, please think about the following and find the answers. I will be curious as to what you learn.

The additional effluent they are planing to pump through the sewage outfall is the concentrate/brine of reverse osmosis water treating. The final concentrations of both metalic solids(salts) and nutrients will depend upon the quality and source(fresh or salt) that they are using for the R.O. facility. Regardless of source the anticipated nutrient levels should be looked at. But, chances are that they will be far lower than the sewage curently being discharged and subsequently, will probably dilute the actual outfall. The Total Dissolved Solids (salt concentration) will be dependent upon a number of factors. But, if they're starting with fresh or brackish water the brine/concentrate will probably be of lower salinity than the surrounding sea water. If they are starting with sea water, they will probably be using a low reclaim system that doesn't concentrate the brine nearly as much as a fresh system.

Anyhow, I am always glad to find people who are concerned with the environment that we all share. But please, make sure to learn all the issues involved before calling to arms. Sometimes, folks that are quick to oppose any change that might effect the environment do a disservice when it either shows them to be uneducated or worse yet they are effective. But, the alternative turns out to be worse than what was originally proposed. Not that this is happening in this instance.

However, that newspaper article covers the issues involved with this sort of case about as well as most news articles cover diving accidents.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom