clark hill/ Augusta, Ga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveprof

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hopefully the vis is finally improving. We usually have good winter vis, but it has been a challenge lately. Wind and rain. Today, we had 8-10' , 6' below 40'. We dove to 94' for a bottom time of 59 min. Water temp is 48 degrees. We are diving wet. Minimal fish life this week. Still a great time.

You know that is only 16 degrees above freezing. I skied in 46 degree water once, only once. I was only in the water for a few seconds. IT WAS COLD. You are HARD CORE BAD TO THE BONE dedicated.

Andy, how much colder do you think it going to get? You think it will get down to the low 40's this year?

Last year it got only down to about 44 degrees (one weekend only in Feb). I have seen it as low as 42 degrees once. We had a cold November that dropped temps quick. How low will it go? Who knows -did I mention that they are calling for snow Monday night? Where is that global warming when you need it (just joking-sort of)? We will be at it again tomorrow. Don't know what the vis will be given the wind today. By the way, they are draining the Augusta canal starting this week to do repairs to the canal banks (much needed) and to put in new water lines under the canal. They say this should also kill off/kill back some of the unwanted hydrilla and other nasty vegs.

You know that is only 16 degrees above freezing. I skied in 46 degree water once, only once. I was only in the water for a few seconds. IT WAS COLD. You are HARD CORE BAD TO THE BONE dedicated.

I believe much of the cold water diving thing is really about acclimation. If I were not diving regularly and was not used to it, it would be freakin' cold. However, diving it week after week, the changes are not so bad and you adjust to it. I really was not cold at the end of last week's dive except for maybe my fingers were getting cool(gloves have a couple of years on them).

I need to make it back up there later in the month hopfully it will be at its coldest so I can test my thermals. I was Toasty warm that day in the river at 50*. So I think it will be good down to the low 40's. It worth a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom