Class & Pool Dive in Chicago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O'Malley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
looking for advice on Chicago area dive shops to complete class & pool dive portion of certification...will follow-up in Caribbean in spring for open-water...residence is in West Loop...feedback appreciated!

I took my daughter to Scuba Systems in Skokie for her classroom and pool training, and like you, did her checkout dives in warm Altantic Ocean waters.

Don't shop only location. Speak to the instructors and try to get a feel whether you are compatible as student/teacher. My favorite instructor is in Racine, WI. I drive 1.25 hours each way for a class.

The certifying agency does not matter. Example, I have NASDS and SSI cards and my daughter has a PADI card. Never had a problem.

Good Luck!

I took my class and pool at New City YMCA, Touhy and Western, it is a Padi program and the instructor Ro is Awesome, PM me for his phone number

Good Luck![/QUOTE]

O'Malley:
looking for advice on Chicago area dive shops to complete class & pool dive portion of certification...will follow-up in Caribbean in spring for open-water...residence is in West Loop...feedback appreciated!

Scuba Systems in Skokie would be my first choice.
UWsafaris is OK. I've had service issues with them that forced me elsewhere, but it had nothing to do with the instructors they have.

Thanks much for all your input...I have visited Underwater Safaris, Underseas and Scuba Systems and gathered much info...will make a decision in next few months...once again, thank you.

O'Malley:
Thanks much for all your input...I have visited Underwater Safaris, Underseas and Scuba Systems and gathered much info...will make a decision in next few months...once again, thank you.

No offense to jdivechicago - I'd be a little hesitant following the recommendation of someone with a single post - making a recommendation - eh? That being said - UW safaris is one of the only shops in the city. I know a few people who use them - no major complaints. They have an onsite pool - which is a big convience factor. Again - they are also in the city - so parking will be an issue.

I've been to dang near every shop in Chicagoland - they all have their problems. I went out to IID in Glen Ellyn for my classes. They are now under new management since I did my training (big improvement) - and I know most of the instructors - they are a fair shop and one of the few shops will provide a number of local diving opportunities if you want to take diving beyond the occasional yearly trip someplace warm. The downside to a new student is they don't have a pool on-site - they use a school a bit down the road - but its a huge pool! They have a decent fill station and bank nitrox - so its worth the ride for me from downtown.

Scuba Emporium is the 900lbs gorilla when it comes to certifying divers in Chicago. Two locations - onsite pools at both. Never got a good sense of customer service there. Everything is sold at MSRP. No deals to be had on a $2700 drysuit - I took my business elsewhere.

Scuba Systems is a decently stocked shop /w onsite pool. Can't comment on their instructors. Larry is fair and eager to provide help. Plus I know some riffraff who occasionally can be found behind the counter... :)

Underseas is ok too. Don't think they have an onsite pool. I took a PSI class from the owner - Bruce. Seemed fair.

I've heard a few good things about Elmer's Watersports up in Evanstan. Nothing first hand tho.

Since your likely going to be doing a referral - make sure you time it right - I think there is a time limitation from after completing your class/pool sessions and doing your ow checkout dives.... Check w/ the shop before scheduling the class.

I did my training at Elmer's Watersports (you'll want to talk to Myron or John), they are just down the street from Scuba System's. They have an awesome training program and staff. They have several class schedule options including a seven week class (7 sessions once a week). This is really nice, you won't be rushed in the classroom or the pool (especially the pool more time there means greater comfort level in open water) and it's easier to work into your schedule. Anyway give them a call and talk to Myron, John, or Rick.

Later
Tom

Elmer's Waterports, Inc
1310 Oakton
Evanston, IL 60202
847-475-7946
847-475-7961 Fax
JohnEWI@sbcglobal.net
MyronEWI@sbcglobal.net

Panzer70:
I did my training at Elmer's Watersports (you'll want to talk to Myron or John), they are just down the street from Scuba System's. They have an awesome training program and staff. They have several class schedule options including a seven week class (7 sessions once a week). This is really nice, you won't be rushed in the classroom or the pool (especially the pool more time there means greater comfort level in open water) and it's easier to work into your schedule. Anyway give them a call and talk to Myron, John, or Rick.

Later
Tom

Elmer's Waterports, Inc
1310 Oakton
Evanston, IL 60202
847-475-7946
847-475-7961 Fax
JohnEWI@sbcglobal.net
MyronEWI@sbcglobal.net

Certainly good to hear this...visited Elmer's for purchase of new mask & fins and was impressed with conversation that developed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom