Class & Pool Dive in Chicago

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my classes at SouthSide YMCA and Ro was my instructor. I haven't communicated with him since I certified. Could you please give me his number and/or email so I can let him know I have over 120 dives logged since him and to let him know my progress. Thanks

Michele (Brown Mermaid)

rushrhees:
I took my class and pool at New City YMCA, Touhy and Western, it is a Padi program and the instructor Ro is Awesome, PM me for his phone number

Good Luck!
[/QUOTE]

O'Malley:
looking for advice on Chicago area dive shops to complete class & pool dive portion of certification...will follow-up in Caribbean in spring for open-water...residence is in West Loop...feedback appreciated!

so here's the question??? what shop did you end up taking classes from?

netmage:
I've been to dang near every shop in Chicagoland - they all have their problems. I went out to IID in Glen Ellyn for my classes. They are now under new management since I did my training (big improvement) - and I know most of the instructors - they are a fair shop and one of the few shops will provide a number of local diving opportunities if you want to take diving beyond the occasional yearly trip someplace warm. The downside to a new student is they don't have a pool on-site - they use a school a bit down the road - but its a huge pool! They have a decent fill station and bank nitrox - so its worth the ride for me from downtown.
I agree. John is a great guy and the shop is MUCH improved now that he is running it. I have taken my classes there and will be taking future classes there as well. During the summer months they have been doing monthly BBQ dives at Haigh. It's a great way for new divers to get back into the water with some experienced people around. They are fun dives, usually a contest of some kind with decent prizes, and the food is good. I have pointed several people here at work their way. Also, they have a "lifetime gurantee" on classes. If you ever need a refresher course or want to just get some pool time in, they only charge for gear and pool access. If you wanted to do the referal then next summer you felt like you needed to just get back in the water to brush up it would only be like $15 or so for the day of class and pool. If 10 years from now you wanted to refresh it would be the same. Not a bad deal IMO.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom