Cleaning housing and dome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N8nbkk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Any suggestions on what to use to clean my aluminum housing and glass dome?

I soak the housing after every dive in fresh water, and always soak it for 24 hrs once home from a trip. But I can never get the white stains to go away. I even bought the Dr film housing cleaner to soak it in, and no luck.

The dome has some weird imprinted stain around it. Seems like some oil or chemical might have had a reaction with the glass? It doesn't come off after normal soaking. I've also tried cleaning it with vinegar. Haven't tried any glass polishes yet, like meguiars or chemical guys.

Attachments

• 20230422_162411.jpg
    20230422_162411.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 20230422_162351.jpg
    20230422_162351.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 98
  • 20230422_162231.jpg
    20230422_162231.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 93
The dome has some weird imprinted stain around it.
Who is the manufacturer of your housing and dome port?

Did you try to contact them concerning this matter?

It looks like that perhaps the special coating on dome port glass came off for some reason.

The above is speculation, I have never seen this with any of my housings in 25 years of using them.

You should communicate with the manufacturer.

It's like a cleaning solvent you can mix with water to soak the housing in.
Their website says soak for up to 30 minutes but you soaked your kit in this crap for 24 hours? This maybe the problem with your dome. I rinse my kit in filtered water and add "salt x" if available.

Their website says soak for up to 30 minutes but you soaked your kit in this crap for 24 hours? This maybe the problem with your dome. I rinse my kit in filtered water and add "salt x" if available.

Hello my friend. I caught that Salt-X mention! Do you indeed use a dilute solution of Salt-X for your camera housing soak? I have used the stuff on everything from outboard motors to guns but never an aluminum (Nauticam) housing though terribly tempted to do so. What has concerned me was all of the O-ring glands on the controls? What do you think?

Hello my friend. I caught that Salt-X mention! Do you indeed use a dilute solution of Salt-X for your camera housing soak? I have used the stuff on everything from outboard motors to guns but never an aluminum (Nauticam) housing though terribly tempted to do so. What has concerned me was all of the O-ring glands on the controls? What do you think?

I used salt x (mixed with water according to mfg. Recommendations) with my camera housing many years ago when I lived in the US no problem. I used to soak it overnight. I don't use it now since I don't have it here in Libya unfortunately.

If you are concerned about it, contact the mfg. to check with them first.

I've never seen that before either. Is the staining on the inside or outside of the dome? It almost looks like mold or mildew if its on the inside.

Aside from the discoloration, how do you like your marelux housing? I've been looking into getting one.

I've never seen that before either. Is the staining on the inside or outside of the dome? It almost looks like mold or mildew if its on the inside.

Aside from the discoloration, how do you like your marelux housing? I've been looking into getting one.
I like the housing a lot. It's comparable to Nauticam in terms of functionality and the button placements are nice and customizable. You're also able to use nauticam lenses with Marelux so that's a nice option.

Back
Top Bottom